Hill country topo help needed

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Hill country topo help needed

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:01 pm

I am not very experienced at all with hunting hill country but found a spot I want to hunt tomorrow with a SW wind. Hoping you guys that are familiar with this stuff could point me in the right direction on where to set up here.

West is lake, north and south are creek and swamp. I will be coming in from the road on the east. The hills are maple and oaks with some thick cover down low.

Sorry for the topo pic as it's the best I can do here. Might be able to figure out something better if needed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Beason
500 Club

Re: Hill country topo help needed

Unread postby Beason » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:37 pm

drainages facing ne. hunt funnels on ne side of ridge 1/3 down.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:59 pm

If your looking to hunt in the circled area then I would be expecting the best bedding location for a mature buck to be on the 1790' line on the NE side of the hill that has the 1800' line labeled. If you take the line between the words Marsh & Bay and follow it south to the first east west crossing line (where they intersect at the 1750' mark on the hill) then follow that line east I would expect a buck bed to be where that line intersects the 1790' mark for the second time or there abouts. I would also imagine there would be good movement through the valley/saddle to the east between this hill and the next hill to the east by the road (with the x1814 mark on top). There may be a good buck running does in the bottom of that valley in the morning. There are several good looking spots in that area but if I had to pick one to go in blind on that would be my first choice.

Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:24 pm

what they said ...but

after hunting hill country for man y years I have come to learn that the wind DOSE NOT have to be exactly blowing over the ridge ...so say its a SE wind..i would hunt any of the following ...NE, or N faceing slops about 1/3 from the top. if you hunt the N facing slops it will still have that effect for deer to take advantage of . you really wont know what the thermal tunnel is doing that day until you get there and thermals take place ...sometimes its higher some times it takes place lower ..all depends on wind speed and if its cloudy that day or not and or how steep it is , ive noticed thermals really rush up a steep hill compared to a slow gradual hill ...I see a lot of guys make the mistake and say o the wind isn't directly over the ridge its kind of off to the side angling over the ridge im not going to hunt ...when there making a mistake and they should hunt because chances are the deer are there....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”