Mid Day wind shift

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tractorsaw1

Mid Day wind shift

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:02 am

When the wind changes direction after say 1:00 in the afternoon, what should be expected as far as buck bedding. Will he make a small turn in his bed & not leave or will he get up & move to a bed that is more favorable for what the wind is currently if it is a relative short distance away? Tuesday here starts out with a south swest wind that shifts direction to a north north west wind around 1:00. I am ready to make my move on a south wind, I have had a few weeks worth of pictures to confirm his movement on that wind. I really missed the boat saturday night & hunted a different property, but tuesday night I not sure what to expect. Thanks!

headgear
500 Club

Re: Mid Day wind shift

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:14 am

Is it hill country or marsh bed? I think in hill country you would see them make a move to a different bed mid-day, if it is a marsh bed they likely sit tight and you get a crack at them.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:54 am

The wind shift is more problematic for the hunter than the hunted. If the buck is bedded and you are set up properly the wind shift will give you away. I would abort and move to a different spot. It sucks but that is what I do.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Tractorsaw1

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:07 am

(This is a hill country scenario) Well i don't think it gives me up, but maybe it does. With a south wind he beds on the east side of the creek. After 6 he crosses the creek, heads into the food plot, crosses it heading west. My plan was to setup on the west side of the food plot on the ridge, but south of where he crosses the plot. This would be great with a north wind, if he repeats what he did on a south wind even tho it shifted. On 10-2 he did just that. Last year he only had about a 10" spread. Not a high scoring rack, but is a big body deer, the biggest body I have on cam this year.[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:18 am

I know Dan has said that he has seen a buck get up and move to the other side of a point in midday to get the advantage of the wind change coming over it's back again.... Not saying that all bucks will do this, but he said he has seen it happen before..... maybe he will chime in on the subject.
Tractorsaw1

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:19 am

South wind the buck beds in position 1 & exits following path shown in red. Hunter takes path 1 in yellow from the house. If the buck moves to position 2 shown in red when the wind shifts things just got a lot more difficult to predict.

Last edited by Tractorsaw1 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tractorsaw1

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:47 am

Maybe the buck makes a more subtle miday shift to option 3?

Tractorsaw1

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:54 am

Well i couldn't go hunting last night to find out what would happen. I didn't push real hard because i figured there was a chance he would approach in a different direction. Id rather not hunt than blow it at his point. It will be this weekend before i can check the cam to see what happened. Wind was really howling last night. I will try to get a video uploaded of the target.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:09 am

Tractorsaw1 wrote:Well i couldn't go hunting last night to find out what would happen. I didn't push real hard because i figured there was a chance he would approach in a different direction. Id rather not hunt than blow it at his point. It will be this weekend before i can check the cam to see what happened. Wind was really howling last night. I will try to get a video uploaded of the target.

I take this approach quite often. Rather than burn a spot, will hunt a different spot. Just part of my low impact mentality.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”