bedding question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PUBLICbowhunter

bedding question

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:28 am

Ok this might be really stupid question but, so do bucks always bed on the opposite side of the hill out of the wind?(wind at back) What if the wind switches mid-day will they walk over with wind in their face to other side of hill to keep wind at their back when bedding? Just trying to figure out when a buck will bed at what bedding areas?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: bedding question

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:38 am

PUBLICbowhunter wrote:Ok this might be really stupid question but, so do bucks always bed on the opposite side of the hill out of the wind?(wind at back) What if the wind switches mid-day will they walk over with wind in their face to other side of hill to keep wind at their back when bedding? Just trying to figure out when a buck will bed at what bedding areas?

There is no such term as "Always" when referring to buck behavior. ;) However, the older a buck gets the less mistakes he makes and mature bucks usually bed as you described in hilly terrain.

Yes, they will shift position if the wind changes, but it usually ain't far, and primary bedding is usually chosen that covers most major wind shifts with a short move.
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:47 am

Thanks for helping to clear this up for me Dan! So when the get up from the bed they will walk the thermal tunnel for a ways the walk over the hill with wind at there back I am assuming.

I will definitely be attending your next scouting workshop!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:59 am

So when the get up from the bed they will walk the thermal tunnel for a ways the walk over the hill with wind at there back I am assuming.

Im not sure if your talking about them moving when they get up in the evening, or at a wind shift? They tend to go the direction they want to regardless of wind, however I have seen them walk the elevation they bed on a lot for a short distance before deciding to drop down.
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:59 am

Maybe you can help me with bedding on this piece that I hunt, I saw a BIG buck last night but not sure where he was bedding. It was a WSW wind and he should up an hour n half before dark. The red line was his travel. Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:25 am

In the wind you described I would expect he was bedded in one of the spots I marked with a red dot.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:23 am

Hey fellow beast hunters, I was wondering when looking at topo maps and aerial maps what to you look for to find beds or other "hot" spots to hunt?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:20 am

brkissl82 wrote:Hey fellow beast hunters, I was wondering when looking at topo maps and aerial maps what to you look for to find beds or other "hot" spots to hunt?

I would have to write a book... I would suggest buying the marsh bucks, and Hill country DVD out of the beast store, not trying to push a sale ( I really don't make much) but when you watch those video's you will know exactly what to look for, they are in depth and several hours long each... I could not type that much info, and then you still would not get the visual you get from video.
If you have a more specific question as it relates to a specific spot, area, or terrain, I could give you a better answer...
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:26 am

brkissl82 wrote:Hey fellow beast hunters, I was wondering when looking at topo maps and aerial maps what to you look for to find beds or other "hot" spots to hunt?

I would use the search tool on this forum and read away man. There is tons of info on here about bedding for any terrain. I recomend the videos also!. I have both and I hunt farm country. Videos are a GREAT tool!
Tractorsaw1

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:32 am

[/quote] buying the marsh bucks, and Hill country DVD out of the beast store[/quote]

Was the best thing I ever bought when it comes to hunting, man those are gold right there.

Probably the most value per cost item I have picked up as well!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Where were you when you saw him?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”