Observation stands and corn

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Observation stands and corn

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:22 pm

The current plan is to harvest corn next week,towards Friday. I plan on sitting in a spot where I can see the deer come out into the corn field. I should be up high enough to see everything I need over the corn.Will the deer act different with corn up/corn down over a weekspan?Image

[ Post made via Android ] Image

kwaldeier
500 Club

Re: Observation stands and corn

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:31 am

Anyone?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:11 am

The deer will definitely change patterns when the corn is in vs corn picked. When the corn is picked you have eliminated a lot of cover. I have marked some spots I like after the corn is picked (arrows are wind direction). I like the spot you have marked until the corn is picked. I would also like to point out sitting in a stand on the timber line might be productive while they are picking corn. I have done this a lot over the years. It's kind of a deer drive so to speak. The area circled is where I think the bucks will hang out after the corn is picked.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:10 am

Stan,there is a dried up stream that is about 20 yards south of each point you marked.South of the creek is mostly pines. Would you want to be on the north or south side of the creek?

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:54 am

In my opinion, there is not a better hunt than immediately during and after(same evening) a corn field is picked. I like Stanley's stand locations also, you've got to be in a spot that can catch them leaving the field if they get bumped by the combine and catch them coming back to the field. Evenings after corn harvest have yielded my highest deer sightings, without it even being close(regularly see 25-50 deer). The later in the year the better, I would consider hunting a faint trail intersecting the doe exist routes after the corn has been picked for the day if you have previously seen rutting activity. If your just looking to see deer, I would hunt that inside corner stand location Stanley has marked. I would not however set up in an "observation stand" if you've got a bow in your hand, unless your plan is to try to move in on a buck you see exit the field, which can be difficult because they generally don't go a long ways out of the field if they are bumped by a combine. Sorry I'm getting all over the place now, bottom line, make sure your in the game and hunting when the corn is being picked and immediately afterwards.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”