Finding beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sethraftman

Finding beds

Unread postby sethraftman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:36 am

So I live on a 7000 acre piece of property in the Big Woods of Maine. We see does here and there all the time on the property. I hunt a little bit each season but can't seem to find anything with horns...and we can't shoot does in this zone. I am planning on focusing my last minute scouting out on the water sources and swampy areas on the east end of the property. The tributary closest to my house has some good sign on it.

Curious for some feedback on what you might think areas to find beds are? I know there are two to three big bucks out in the area but need to get them dialed in better if I am gonna be able to find them when it counts.

The red box is the property boundary. To the north and east of us is all land I can hunt as well.

<iframe width="500px" height="500px" src="http://caltopo.com/map?id=1U5A"></iframe>

just in case the embedded image doesn't work here is a link: http://caltopo.com/map?id=1U5A

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Finding beds

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 am

SPOTS MARKED IN YELLOW SHOULD HAVE BUCK BEDS.
sethraftman

Unread postby sethraftman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for highlighting those spots Dan.

I am curious how much logging activity moves the deer around. We have some areas of the property that are being systematically cut. And I am wondering if the deer will go back to bedding areas once the cutting moves through that area? Or will they permanently move out to another area that is not as trafficked. I know they will sometimes feed in a cut that is a few years old.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:05 pm

sethraftman wrote:Thanks for highlighting those spots Dan.

I am curious how much logging activity moves the deer around. We have some areas of the property that are being systematically cut. And I am wondering if the deer will go back to bedding areas once the cutting moves through that area? Or will they permanently move out to another area that is not as trafficked. I know they will sometimes feed in a cut that is a few years old.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I don't think systematic cutting would move the deer very much. I have seen areas that were logged, and didn't effect the deer much at all.

2 years ago, I was hunting a 300 acre track of private land. The loggers didn't roll in until the 2nd week of Oct. I was hunting the property where the loggers wasn't working. I seen two shooter bucks comes out where the equipment was parked after the loggers called it a day! Both those bucks ended up getting killed too....both by two friends of mine.
sethraftman

Unread postby sethraftman » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:46 pm

So when I go into these areas looking for beds. Do I actually go into the potential bedding areas or just hike around them, pay attention to wind and look for trails headed into these areas. Or would you go in actually looking for the spots that have been laid in? Will my being in those areas two weeks before season opens move the deer out or will it just bump them while I am in there?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”