hill country river bottom

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tractorsaw1

hill country river bottom

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:41 am

Hello All, Like to say thanks to all here. Man the dvd's I got from Dan have sure turned the light bulb on for me. I have really wasted a lot of time wondering where I went wrong at. This year I hope to see some improvement, & it won't take much to be a huge improvement. Any rate this property is a private piece that I felt like really should be great, but with my terrible tactics so far has been mediocre. It has a little of everything, small creek, river bottom fields, & some pretty big hills. I am open to any and all suggestions here. I have to come in near the A mark on the arial map. The blue circled area is not catails, but some type of tall reed. If this were your place how would you attack it. Thanks for any help. I will be back after figureing out how to post photos! I am located in central Missouri
Last edited by Tractorsaw1 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tractorsaw1

Re: hill country river bottom

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:05 am

Tractorsaw1

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:19 am

Well the blue reed line is missing, sorry, it's the small patch where the creek bends to the west & raps around it with the big hill to the east of it. Can anyone see the images but me?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:33 am

Hunt between the two high points... that is a slam dunk saddle
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Tractorsaw1

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:37 am

Bucky Thanks man, that was what I was thinking. I also picked up mapping trophy whitetails & thought that saddle really should be a good spot. I have a stand up there, but its at the top of that cut that falls off north west, so I was really only seeing a minor portion of what was going on. One year I went in on the tractor road that raps around that hill & blew out a bunch a deer that were bedded up high :(
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:59 am

Tractorsaw1 wrote:Bucky Thanks man, that was what I was thinking. I also picked up mapping trophy whitetails & thought that saddle really should be a good spot. I have a stand up there, but its at the top of that cut that falls off north west, so I was really only seeing a minor portion of what was going on. One year I went in on the tractor road that raps around that hill & blew out a bunch a deer that were bedded up high :(

Is the mapping trophy whitetails just for hill country? I heard it was a good read just wondering if it was for farmland also!
Tractorsaw1

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:07 am

Pretty sure it covers some farmland type setups also. However I overloaded on homework all at once, I have not completed that book yet, but so far it is a good book. I didn't want a repeat of last year so I decided to do something about it. I live on 60 acres in a different county than whats on the map posted. I will post it up later also. My home place is really frustrating in the fact that I get good bucks on trail cam only to never seem them in the stand. About mid august I felt like what happened to me last year was all ready in the works this year. Once I read Dan's article in field & stream I thought, man if he can do it on public, what the heck am I doing so wrong on private? Got a long ways to go, but it can only go up!
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:12 am

Tractorsaw1 wrote:Pretty sure it covers some farmland type setups also. However I overloaded on homework all at once, I have not completed that book yet, but so far it is a good book. I didn't want a repeat of last year so I decided to do something about it. I live on 60 acres in a different county than whats on the map posted. I will post it up later also. My home place is really frustrating in the fact that I get good bucks on trail cam only to never seem them in the stand. About mid august I felt like what happened to me last year was all ready in the works this year. Once I read Dan's article in field & stream I thought, man if he can do it on public, what the heck am I doing so wrong on private? Got a long ways to go, but it can only go up!

Good to hear you know what you may be doing wrong and fixing it for the new season. Chances are the bucks have you patterned or your stand sites if you frequent them. Good luck!
Tractorsaw1

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:20 am

I made a lot of mistakes for a long long time. By overhunting my trail cams last year the buck in my avtar i felt like moved out of the area on me, I sure don't want to see that happen again, still sick about that one. I did get a picture of him in January, so he should still be out there somewhere, of course no pics this year:(
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:21 am

RED = BED
BLUE = HUNTING SPOTS
Tractorsaw1

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:00 am

Hey thanks a lot Dan, the blue spot marked above the 748 I have a permanent that was setup there last year, at least I think it is pretty close. The southern spot those deer can see you coming from a long ways off. The timber is fairly open, big mature white oaks. I am thinking about walking north on the east side to try not to be seen. I sure got a lot to learn about being quite. I laughed reading the F&S article when you said most people don't know how to be quite, approach a hunting area. Yep that's me :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”