Dan or anyone else... any advice?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail_addict

Dan or anyone else... any advice?

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:28 am

I hunted this last year and scouted it all out this past spring. The area labeled buck bedding is really thick and has several old rubs in it. Last year in late October I spotted a nice buck coming out into the open just south of the finger running to the west of the buck bedding area. I seen him go in and out of there two or three different times during pre-rut but I wasn't aggressive enough on moving in on him before the rut kicked in and he was off of that pattern.

However, the sign )rubs, trails, beds, staging area, etc. is all there to lead me to believe this area is used by a nice buck every year. In years past I've gotten several pictures of nice bucks on beans in the very NE and SE corners of the shot. I never really pieced it all together until I got access to the rest of the land shown here to give me an idea of where they were coming from or bedding.

This entire shot is pretty much flat ground so a topo likely won't help much. The orange lines represent the paths I plan to use to sit the stands they lead to. The northern most stand I plan to sit with a South wind and the stand on the south corner of the bedding I plan to sit on a North wind.

There is a small corn field just to the South of this shot that they deer were heading to last year out of this bedding area.

I feel like I have a good set up here, just a matter of waiting for the right conditions and time. But do you have any other suggestions or tweaks that I should maybe make, changes to how I approach the stands, etc?

I've been pretty good this year at staying out of the area (no cameras, stands hung in the summer, etc.) Unfortunately the land owner likes to use the trails once in a while on his four wheeler but like I said I had summer time pics on the nearby fields so I don't think that is enough to keep them out. No one ever goes into the woods the bedding is in other than me when I scout or hunt.
Last edited by dan on Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: REMOVED PHOTO PER REQUEST

whitetail_addict

Re: Dan or anyone else... any advice?

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks Stan! How did you do that?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:33 am

whitetail_addict wrote:Thanks Stan! How did you do that?

In your photo bucket left click on the picture you want to display you will get a menue on the right > "Links to share this photo" left click on the bottom option IMG it will copy that image. Then you just paste in your post.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:30 am

whitetail_addict wrote:Thanks Stan! How did you do that?

Info was in the Welcome / Important Forum Information that I sent you.... plus I have it here http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5754

Thanks for fixing it Stanley :D
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:10 am

I like your setups, they look pretty good. The property certainly contains goodies for the buck... a couple of different types of mast, crops, etc.

I would ask myself of a couple of questions:

*Where is the nearest water source to the bedding area

*What direction was the wind blowing when you watched him exit along the south side of that finger

*Is the crop type in each field the same or was there rotation

*Is your stand on the SouthEast side of the bedding area within bow range of the exit you watched the buck use last year along the finger

These questions are worth pondering. I'm looking forward to hearing of your hunt, as I said it looks like a very good property.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Singing bridge makes some excellent points... I wonder if a good spot for a stand would not be between the cut field and the corn as deer travel towards acorns?
I also like the idea of the corn standing rather than cut, any way to sneak in and set up on the north edge of the bedding against the corn edge?
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:31 pm

They're within the quote box but I have answers to those questions below...

Singing Bridge wrote:I like your setups, they look pretty good. The property certainly contains goodies for the buck... a couple of different types of mast, crops, etc.

I would ask myself of a couple of questions:

*Where is the nearest water source to the bedding area?
___The SE corner of the map has a small creek that runs through

*What direction was the wind blowing when you watched him exit along the south side of that finger?
___I was sitting next to those apple trees on a north wind when I seen the buck last year. It was pre-rut but that's where he was nonetheless

*Is the crop type in each field the same or was there rotation?
___For the most part the same. The field in the SE corner was beans last year but standing corn now. The "grass field" on the South edge of the map was cut corn while I was hunting this last year. It had some deer activity in there last year but this year I suspect that field to be pretty empty most times. A good place for me to enter though because of that.

*Is your stand on the SouthEast side of the bedding area within bow range of the exit you watched the buck use last year along the finger?
___It is. I actually blocked off several of the gaps in the fence this spring leaving one opening, which is the opening the buck used last year anyway. That opening is a 20 yard shot from my stand. I actually have a ground blind close to there as well... again a 20 yard shot to that trail.

These questions are worth pondering. I'm looking forward to hearing of your hunt, as I said it looks like a very good property.
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:40 pm

dan wrote:Singing bridge makes some excellent points... I wonder if a good spot for a stand would not be between the cut field and the corn as deer travel towards acorns?
I also like the idea of the corn standing rather than cut, any way to sneak in and set up on the north edge of the bedding against the corn edge?

Yes, I actually went in along the edge of that corn to the northern most stand opening night. It was raining pretty good the whole 1-1 1/2 hours I was in there so I'm hoping I didn't mess up the spot much.

My only real issue with the corn standing is not knowing for sure if a buck I might be after is bedding in the corn field or in the spot I'm set up on already.

Question: When walking in that first night of season, I did notice 1 or 2 pretty good sized beds in that crp between the woods and corn field. If these are buck beds, do you think they are bedding here during the day or just at night after feeding under the cover of darkness?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:07 am

whitetail_addict wrote:
dan wrote:Singing bridge makes some excellent points... I wonder if a good spot for a stand would not be between the cut field and the corn as deer travel towards acorns?

Yes, I actually went in along the edge of that corn to the northern most stand opening night. It was raining pretty good the whole 1-1 1/2 hours I was in there so I'm hoping I didn't mess up the spot much.

My only real issue with the corn standing is not knowing for sure if a buck I might be after is bedding in the corn field or in the spot I'm set up on already.

Question: When walking in that first night of season, I did notice 1 or 2 pretty good sized beds in that crp between the woods and corn field. If these are buck beds, do you think they are bedding here during the day or just at night after feeding under the cover of darkness?

I doubt the mature bucks are bedding in the corn. Especially on flat land without brush islands or drainage creeks in the corn... As far as those beds in the CRP go, if they are out in the open they are most likely night beds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”