USGS "geoPDF" files here.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Re: USGS "geoPDF" files here.

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:24 am

Thanks Bigwoodsman. This will be great for the logging of potential stand sites. I am going to download the android app for Terra Go as well and see how it all works out. As with anything of importance that is stored electronically; I will also be keeping a paper copy of all the good hunting areas and info.

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:54 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:Thanks Bigwoodsman. This will be great for the logging of potential stand sites. I am going to download the android app for Terra Go as well and see how it all works out. As with anything of importance that is stored electronically; I will also be keeping a paper copy of all the good hunting areas and info.

No problem - member "wmahunter" pointed out TerraGo - nice software.

I downloaded the TerraGo Android app also from the TerraGo site because it's not on Google Play Store. The app requires you to change a setting allowing "installation of non-Play Store apps" which is an Android security setting. I didn't install the app or change that security setting, yet. The app comes from their site as a .zip file. After I extracted the zip file to an uncompressed folder and moved it to my phone, I realized I have no idea which file is the auto-installer or app entry point. So, I have a question in to them regarding getting detailed installation instructions.

And I agree - I don't trust the electronics to hold up when I need them most. I print things and bring a semi-waterproof topo and compass. I also mark my truck with a waterproof gps when I take off into the big woods to hunt on foot all day. Then I shut off the GPS and tuck all that stuff away. I use Backcountry Navigator and my Android device's compass periodically during the day. If I end up miles from my truck the last couple hours of the day, I want to be able to get back in the least amount of time even if my Android was to die or get wet. I've killed a lot of handheld devices in one way or another.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:13 am

bigwoodsman all you have to do is hook up your android device to your computer via USB. Then drag the downloaded APK file to your android device. Then from your android device go to "my files" - at least that is what it is called on my phone and press on the apk file. The device will take care of the rest.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:23 am

Sounds and looks really cool, but dang, this stuff is foreign to me :)
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:31 am

Apparently, this is not working right now due to the government shutdowm.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:42 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:bigwoodsman all you have to do is hook up your android device to your computer via USB. Then drag the downloaded APK file to your android device. Then from your android device go to "my files" - at least that is what it is called on my phone and press on the apk file. The device will take care of the rest.

Perfect. I'll give it a crack. Thanks!
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:45 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Apparently, this is not working right now due to the government shutdowm.

Someone just billed more $ to put up that banner than to leave the site up and running during the shutdown.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:04 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Wow, I thought a PDF was just for standard documents like pages of a book. I didn't know there were other types. So you can download area's and then show/hide features and mark up a map using TerraGo?

Yep, you can edit and save geoPDF files. It remembers which layers you left visible and which ones you hid. TerraGo also gives ability to add tracks/waypoints/and other marks. Some of the other menu items look interesting too, like peer-to-peer collaboration -- but I haven't looked into that yet...

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:22 am

A geoPDF sounds a lot better than I originally thought. I'm looking forward to finding out more about it's capabilities.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:27 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:bigwoodsman all you have to do is hook up your android device to your computer via USB. Then drag the downloaded APK file to your android device. Then from your android device go to "my files" - at least that is what it is called on my phone and press on the apk file. The device will take care of the rest.

Thanks Trailcamaddict- IE was stripping the APK extension and adding a ".zip" extension to the file. I was looking for an installer inside the extracted .zip file. Of course it wasn't there because it wasn't supposed to be a zip file. Anyway, I re-downloaded the TerraGo App with Chrome browser and the APK file remained an APK file. (I probably could have have renamed the .zip to .apk instead of re-downloading). Then, I moved the APK to Dropbox which copied the APK file to my phone. I clicked on it there and it installed fine (after I modified that security setting)...
obrion

Unread postby obrion » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:01 pm

Doh, government shutdown. Did they seriously need to disable a database for shutdown....

Looks really cool though.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:09 pm

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:08 am

DEERSLAYER mentioned MyTrails Android app. I've been using Backcountry Navigator for Android. However, MyTrails just let me predownload and save Google Earth images for the area I'm heading to where I won't have data. Backcountry Navigator doesn't have Google Earth images as a map source. So MyTrails is an awesome solution. Besides the physical map I carry, I'll have topo and images in my truck on my tablet and phone in my pocket. In the areas where the terrain is flatter the images are pretty useful.
iplan

Unread postby iplan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:06 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:All the old historical maps have been scanned and converted to "geoPDF" in addition to the latest US Topo maps:

"geoPDF" is sweet because you can toggle on/off many layers - yet it's just a regular PDF file. These are high resolution, have contour information on the picture, and terrain is shaded in as well.

They're all accessible here:

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT)/.do

Here's an example of a 2013 topo with image layer enabled and the terrain shading.

This is a great link. Using it all the time, but I've got a quick question:

I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but How do you cut the map down and save it ~ so that the entire map represents just the grid squares you need, and not the whole map ~ like you did with the picture you attached (above).

#########################################

I figured it out ~~~~ thought I'd post the answer here in case anyone else was having the problem.

Here are the steps:
1. Once you've got the map zoomed in where you want it and the layers you want activated, in the Adobe Toolbar, click "Edit" then "Take Snap Shot"

2. Highlight the area of the map you want to copy.

3. Open up "Paint" (a microsoft app on all of their systems), and paste it into the picture.

4. Now you can edit your boundry lines, potential stand locations, hunter access routes, etc.

Best,
iplan
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:34 am

iplan that is a really good way to edit the images. I happen to use Snag-It to capture portions of my screen and Gimp to modify saved images... it's the exact same idea as what you're doing...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”