Disappointed scouting trip today in Horicon Marsh

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Beauford

Disappointed scouting trip today in Horicon Marsh

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:08 am

So I had enough time today to get out into the marsh for a scout, not enough time for a hunt. Took my mountain bike and off I went. I had two goals with this scout, one check a new spot & two check an area I have hunted in the past. Well my first spot I checked is a spot I like to hunt when the time is right. I notice a camera up on a main trail not far in. No big deal, I made sure it took a picture of me so they know somebody else hunts somewhere around that area. I then wanted to check another area that looked good from a map. I started walking a trail only to find another camera, this one with ILLEGAL BAIT. I made sure this one took a picture of me I have nothing to hide, & I want him to know that I seen his illegal bait pile. All I can say is both cameras not locked up, I know lots of people that will take them. For the one that is baiting I hope you get busted, Im not one for getting the law involved - but If I find bait out all fall I will turn you in. You cant even enjoy walking the woods / marsh without it full of cameras.

PLB
500 Club

Re: Disappointed scouting trip today in Horicon Marsh

Unread postby PLB » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:22 am

Welcome to public land hunting in WI. A corn pile and a camera.. :roll: sucks bad man just gotta find another area..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:36 am

PLB wrote:Welcome to public land hunting in WI. A corn pile and a camera.. :roll: sucks bad man just gotta [glow=red]find another area..[/glow]
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Don't get discouraged. There are a lot more areas out there.

Remember the frequency of this type of activity goes down the farther you walk back and the farther you drive away from a large city center.

Also, remember there are areas where baiting is banned...slows some people down, not all.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:09 am

Check the regulations about hunting a baited area. In PA if bait is found in an area and you are hunting within 200 yards you are liable for a fine. I hate this as well. I was going to hunt a bedding area that I had found in the past. Found someone put up a ladder stand and 4 salt blocks. So out gos that idea. I did not contact the law on this, but have seen times where people have. The commission will come out put out signs that state illegal baiting area.

I really hate when people do this. You can try and find all of the food sources in the world, then hunt them and see nothing, only to find out someone was baiting close to your location.

I don't let it get to me too bad, as these guys who are looking for the easy way out, i find don't have the woodsmanship skills needed to get the job done, just still hate to see it.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 am

Don't get discouraged just adjust. The biggest problem of cameras is; guys check them too often. This ruins the hunting for everyone.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”