I'd like opinions on this hunting area

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

I'd like opinions on this hunting area

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:48 pm

This is a piece of land-locked public land. The only legal access is on the north side of the river, and the river is wide enough and deep enough (1-5ft depending) that you have to use waders to cross it. I hunt the portion of the land that lies on the south side of the river. Because of all the effort require to hunt this piece, I MIGHT see one other hunter a year during bow season. I don't gun hunt here at all. This is a low lying area along a river. Most of it is conifers, cedars, and cattails/marsh grass. This area doesn't have great deer density, but I hunted it last year and saw several 1.5 and one 2.5yr old buck. Prevailing winds during season are W, N, NW, with the occasional S or SW. Hardly ever get an east wind. It just seems like an area that could possibly hold a big buck. There are no ag fields within a mile. There are no oaks within the property boundary, and it's all private land surrounding it, so, other than browse, I don't have a great idea what these deer are eating. Here is an aerial:

Here is the topo:

The black box outlines the property boundaries. The heavy topo lines to the south are a ridge that rises out of the swampy area to a high ground bench. I plan to hunt along the ridge on the south edge of the property as a likely funnel location (any thoughts on this good or bad, and why?) I'd also like opinions based on the maps of where you guys think the likely buck bedding areas are. I am very new to this kind of aerial pre-scouting and beast hunting tactics. However, I did find a fair amount of buck sign (lots of rubs and 2 scrapes) along some of the transition areas during spring scouting. I also had just read about some of the tactics on this site around that time and identified what I think is a buck bedding area and set up a stand about 100-125 yards away that I havent been back to since April. I appreciate any thoughts on this piece. Thanks

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: I'd like opinions on this hunting area

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:24 pm

I really like the wide variety of habitat on this piece, from riverbottom to decent elevation... lots of potential buck bedding.

I marked some potential buck beds in red, along with a couple of points, transition areas in yellow that may contain bedding. That's a good looking spot you have there - even with a lack of agriculture. 8-)

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:21 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:I really like the wide variety of habitat on this piece, from riverbottom to decent elevation... lots of potential buck bedding.

I marked some potential buck beds in red, along with a couple of points, transition areas in yellow that may contain bedding. That's a good looking spot you have there - even with a lack of agriculture. 8-)

I agree, I haven't seen great numbers on this piece in the past, but enough to know there's deer, and likely a big one in the area. I've found what I believe to be one buck bed (picture below) just west of where you drew the southernmost yellow line. Also, around where you drew the transition lines and to the west, where the marsh dead ends into the conifers, there are tons of rubs. I'm still very much in the "trying to put the pieces together" stage of my deer hunting career, but I feel like all the knowledge on this site is going to really accelerate learning curve.

Singing Bridge, as a follow-up question. If you were going to hunt this bed near southern transition line(in your drawing), what's you're preferred wind direction, and where would you enter from? The main trail leading out of this bed went North/Northwest. Where I set the stand up is in a small island of trees about 20 yards east of this trail. Before reading the beast, I would have thought a S or SW wind would have been best for this spot, that way when I exited the river, I'd have the wind in my face while approaching the area. However, after reading a lot of posts on here, I think a W, or NW (with most of a west component) is the ideal wind for this stand (mostly because the way I've interpreted what I've read here makes it sound like deer almost always exit the bed with the wind in their face? ), and that I should enter it from the northeast to keep my scent quartering away from the deer. (picture below: blue=wind, red=approximate location of bed located above, yellow is planned entry route, black=stand site, green=heaviest trail leading to/out of the bed) What are your thoughts on my thought process?? Am I in the ballpark or still way off?

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:43 am

Also, around where you drew the transition lines and to the west, where the marsh dead ends into the conifers, there are tons of rubs.

I've lost count of how many spots I've scouted that match this description. In areas where it is rare for a buck to make its third birthday (very rare), two year old bucks are a legitimate and very difficult target. Fortunately, they are also the "sign makers" most of the time- most of the rubs and scrapes in heavy pressure areas are made by two year olds. What you are describing is likely the staging area of a two year old buck. There are likely similar sized trees rubbed from many years past in the same little area. The buck, when bedded in that area, may be 30 to 300 or more yards away from this staging spot, likely inside the swamp / marsh. There is a chance he will exit the swamp / marsh onto the high ground near the rubs before dark... but more likely he has already been wounded in deer season one or more times by hunters. I have watched many two year olds hold the swamp 40 - 80 yards from the rubs until dark. When darkness sets in and they are convinced that their route is safe they move up onto the high ground and may rub a tree where all those rubs are located. Hopefully there isn't some neophyte camped on top of the rubs tooting a hundred times on a grunt call (game over, happens all the time). An observation stand works well here, playing the wind, to see where you need to set up to get an arrow into him before dark. There's a good chance the buck is bedded along the river in those areas I marked, or a hummock of dry ground inside the wet swamp / marsh.

mostly because the way I've interpreted what I've read here makes it sound like deer almost always exit the bed with the wind in their face?

"Always, every time and without fail" are words that need to be left out of our vocabulary. Some of the examples we cite may make it appear that way (exiting the bed into the wind every time), but we believe a buck will exit the bedding area in the direction of his intended destination- at this time of the year, that is likely a food source. If the buck has the wind in his favor while moving toward his destination, he may move farther from the bed before dark than if it is not in that direction... but the buck is going to go where he wants. That is why it is so important to set up as close to the bed as we can without him knowing it.

If you were going to hunt this bed near southern transition line(in your drawing), what's you're preferred wind direction, and where would you enter from? The main trail leading out of this bed went North/Northwest. Where I set the stand up is in a small island of trees about 20 yards east of this trail. Before reading the beast, I would have thought a S or SW wind would have been best for this spot, that way when I exited the river, I'd have the wind in my face while approaching the area. However, after reading a lot of posts on here, I think a W, or NW (with most of a west component) is the ideal wind for this stand (mostly because the way I've interpreted what I've read here makes it sound like deer almost always exit the bed with the wind in their face? ), and that I should enter it from the northeast to keep my scent quartering away from the deer.

A southwest or west wind will likely have the buck in the bed you marked... If his main exit trail is where you marked, set up as close as you can to the bed with the understanding that daytime thermals will take scent up to the higher elevation of the bed.

Have you been able to watch the dvd's, "Hill Country" and "Marsh Bucks"? They really bring these bedding scenarios and set ups into focus.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:16 am

Great insidght Bridge!!

It got my brain a going, also found it fun to compare what I thought to what you had. I'm getting much better at map judging, but not quite there yet.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:42 am

I ordered and just finished watching hill country and marsh bucks DVDs. Man....those videos are worth every penny in my opinion. A few great points I had never thought of, and great explanations of the underlying principles of deer behavior that coincide with my personal observations. After watching the videos, I can see exactly why SB said this buck would be there on a S/SW wind. I'm even more excited for this season now, to put some of these techniques into practice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”