a little help with a new area requested

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

a little help with a new area requested

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:52 am

sImage

The cut off flag pin at the top of the screen in my house. The two red dots are my approximate treestand locations. Yellow denotes deer trails, blue are quad trails.

The stand closer to my house is set up along an intersection of 3 deer trails. The below the stand is a smaller flat that is not noticable in the topo map. There is a trail that runs along that flat, one that comes down off of the ridge, and one actually follows the quad trail. I had set up a mock scrape below this stand. I had a camera set up on it but the batteries had died. I checked the camera but had no pics on it. There was a decent sized track in the scrape as well. There was a poker run last weekend and had the quad trail very muddy, there were tracks on this as well going down the hill. I found a decent ammount of acorns at the bottom of the flat as well. The houses at the base of the mountain all have apple tress around them. I have 4 in my yard. This morning about an hour and a half before light, there were deer about 20 yards into the woods behind my house when I let the lab out.

The other stand is on an abandon logging trail about 10-15 feet wide. Each side of this trail are really thick and you cannot see in or out. I found a spot maked by the red dot where I can climb a tree about 10'. I cleared some of the obstacles out of the way and plan on hunting this spot as well. The deer trail on this road is pretty noticable but there are fresh rubs on this as well. I will set up facing the top of the hill to be able to see the trail. The woods on the upper side of this trail are very thick so i doubt the deer will be using this area to travle. The green section behind the stand is a set of pines where I had found beds, and decent tracks last winter. there is a monster filed beyond the pines as well.

I am believing that the deer bed up on this hill, and the small point where there is a blue dot between the trails is where I believe a buck is bedding. He can see the quad trails below and can scent from behind, there are quite few brush piles behind him as well. I feel that if he sees danger below he can observe,and if he want to flee, he can escape to the really deep thicket on the top of the ridge. I am thinking that the buck will come out of his bed and filter down to the acorns and apples in the evening, or work his way out to the field.

I believe that to hunt the abandon tram road stand I will need a cross wind. I can not shoot any direction but towards the tram or slightly down the hill. i did notice a not so bet trail coming up the ridge and connecting with the abandon tram, I am thinking this is how the buck accesses the field. I imagine that the trail on the road is where the does, make their way to the pines to bed.

Just looking for insights on what winds I should look for, if hunting 10' off of the ground will work on the abandon trail. there is a lot of cover behind me so the deer will not see me if working from the field towards my house. I left enough brush on this trail, so when i crouched to deer level they will not see me until they hit the opening. I plan on drawing on them before they hit the opening and take the shot, It will only be a 7-10 yard max shot.

I have never hunter this tight of a funnel before and typically hunt in more open hardwoods and such. Can any one offer insight on the best winds to hunt this and also where and when do you think the deer will be accessing these areas.

i had some apples placed about 200 yards to the left of the lower stand and had a lot of doe movement between 9-2 in the after noon, and between 3-5 in the am.

I have yet to scout the area to the right with the point. I had seen a monster in June over here while on a quad ride. He looked to be an 8 point past his ears. I think i may slowly work my way over to this area as well. It is thick and does not have any suitable trees for climbing.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: a little help with a new area requested

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:54 am

Youre 30 days out from season, I wouldnt be telln people you have apples out.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:00 am

I had apples out. LOL they are not out now. There are apples on the trees in my yard but not placed in the woods
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:14 am

To answer your question, that whole area is a south winds area for bedding.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:20 am

That was my thought at as well, just wanted to be sure.

Do you feel that a south west wind would also be do-able here? A south east wind could potentiall blow my scent into the buck bed. A west or east wind would mess me up for the deer using the lower flat or walking directly on the tram.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”