Clear cuts and flat land

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jjm335

Clear cuts and flat land

Unread postby jjm335 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Morning guys!

I posted my first post in Land Management and got some good feedback (thanks Dan & Dream) on two of my areas. Out of that I had some questions. I have one spot that was recently clear cut and now it has become a wall of brush. The deer are there and a lot of hunters have given up because it is so hard to hunt. I'm just curious on how you guys would go about hunting an area like this?

The area I'm talking about is basically center of the map. This is an old image that shows it soon after it was cut. It is a wall of brush now.

bowmike
500 Club

Re: Clear cuts and flat land

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:25 am

I didn't see your other post but:

I would hunt the edges of the clear cut and also that lower corner looks good. Not sure on the distance across but that inlet on the lake forms a natural funnel. It is close to the road but may still have deer. I hunt a similar type of clear cut but it is big timber. A buddy turned me on to this spot.

The deer go around the edges. the area was clear cut and a fence used to be put up to keep the deer out of it. My bet is there are doe bedding in that area. Hunt the outskirts on the down wind side, there will most likely be bucks scent checking the edges for hot does in the rut. I would bet you would find rub lines going around the perimeter of the clear cut. If you shoot one though, good luck getting him out.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
jjm335

Re: Clear cuts and flat land

Unread postby jjm335 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:00 am

I was looking at the inlet recently and it has sign but nothing very fresh. I think under high pressure there might be more activity. The part that is the funnel is extremely steep and not very wide. It is hard to access but there are ways in. The lower corner looks interesting it is just hard to get to. The clear cut is a wall so you either need to blaze a trail or skirt the edge but it's hard to stay off the deer paths.

The clear cut itself is a very large area. The main logging road you see on the image is a heavily used trail (at least by the sign and there just isn't many ways through it) that still goes from top to bottom. The issue is getting in without walking right down it and there are no trees to climb.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”