What buck is in the bed?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

live2hunt

What buck is in the bed?

Unread postby live2hunt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:39 pm

Last year I followed the rubs new and old. I did my scouting and found an awesome bed to hunt. Well my first time in last year I jumped a deer not to far from the bed. I never laid eyes on the deer and have no Idea what deer it was. It just never worked out for me in that spot. Well this year the buck is back in there. I will be trying it again, but im getting curious about what buck is using the bed. I dont want to go in there to run cameras either. How do you identify that your target buck is in that bed? Or do you just go in with a stand and hope its the old buck you are after?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What buck is in the bed?

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Tracks, rub height, or a camera in the night time feeding area associated with the bed... But really, the best bucks are in the best beds. Give it a shot. Its one hunt out of the season, throw up a stand and see who rolls out.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: What buck is in the bed?

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:22 am

live2hunt wrote:Last year I followed the rubs new and old. I did my scouting and found an awesome bed to hunt. Well my first time in last year I jumped a deer not to far from the bed. I never laid eyes on the deer and have no Idea what deer it was. It just never worked out for me in that spot. Well this year the buck is back in there. I will be trying it again, but im getting curious about what buck is using the bed. I dont want to go in there to run cameras either. How do you identify that your target buck is in that bed? Or do you just go in with a stand and hope its the old buck you are after?

Sounds like you are doing pretty good. Hunting big bucks is hardly ever a lead pipe cinch. Like Dan said hunt the bed the best way you can and see what happens. It wouldn't hurt to set a camera up on the bed say in May and not check it until you are done hunting for the season. This way you will have intel for next year. It's not always about immediate results but an accumulation of intel will help somewhere down the line.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”