Beginner Hunter - aerial scout advice

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NCmedic

Beginner Hunter - aerial scout advice

Unread postby NCmedic » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:02 pm

I have just gained access to this farm below and I haven't had the chance to scout it out. I was wondering what you guys think would be key areas to "spotcheck" and set up on for deer without disturbing them too much.

Potential buck/doe bedding areas, staging areas etc... I haven't had much practice recognizing these areas from aerial maps. I planned on walking the transition lines and wood edges to check for sign and go from there but wanted to see what you guys would prioritize out of the whole farm for a quick in-season scout.

Hunting property is outlined in red.

Thanks!

Tyler

wmahunter
500 Club

Re: Beginner Hunter - aerial scout advice

Unread postby wmahunter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:59 am

add a topo map
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:33 am

I'd be looking at those creeks that run through the central and NE corner of the property, high probability of bedding in those areas. Is this land mostly lowland and fields? Kind looks like good bedding on top of food.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:39 am

Red - stands to try/observation areas
Yellow - hunting locals - these dots can be moved back into timber some or general vicinity
Yellow line - stand along this trasition depending on what scouting shows
Green - potential buck bedding/creek crossings
Red circle- possible staging area
Green blotches = hunting plot locations if you can possibly add in future
Depending on depth of creek...that is how I would access... walk right down creek to stand local from North or South West corner

Looks like a great spot!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:19 am

NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:21 am

<iframe width="500px" height="500px" src="http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.21324,-77.72897&z=15&b=t"></iframe>

not sure how to make the picture appear... the land on the topo is bordered by the dashed trail from the SW corner to the NW corner and across the N. The E is bordered by Jacket Swamp and that road. The S is bordered by the road. If that helps...
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:29 am

Bucky - thanks a lot! I see what you mean about access through the creek. I haven't been back there yet but from what I can see it's a pretty big swamp so I'm not sure how easy that would be. I'll have to check it out and let you know :)

I just added the TOPO, any new suggestions with that now available?

Also, I'm a new hunter so although I do want to bag a buck this year I'm not even too familiar with doe bedding habits. Do they tend to bed in areas adjacent to bucks? Or do the stay closer to food sources? In the hardwoods or a little bit further from the swamp?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:32 am

If u want to shoot a doe... hunt those inside corners marked in yellow heading to agriculture

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:36 am

Search in tool bar parallel trails... help you further understand how bucks will move during rut....

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:10 am

NCmedic: Here is a topo for you.

What I like to do is find a map on caltopo, then I use a snipping tool from Microsoft. You just snip a screen shot and save to a folder in your pc, and upload to either photobucket on the photo gallery here on HB.

Here is a link to the Microsoft snipping tool:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... reen-shots
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:39 am

Bucky -- I remember hearing about parallel trails in the Farmland Bucks DVD. I'll definitely research that and re-watch that DVD.

Backstraps -- Thanks!
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Bucky, I noticed that the placements of possible buck beds were on the S bends of the creek. I've learned this holds true for farmland deer where the creek is more prominent but does this hold the same for swampy areas as well?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:12 am

NCmedic wrote:Bucky, I noticed that the placements of possible buck beds were on the S bends of the creek. I've learned this holds true for farmland deer where the creek is more prominent but does this hold the same for swampy areas as well?

Not answering for Bucky, but in my experiance, yes. As long as there is cover to support a bed, farm or swamp should not matter, they will bed in those bends just as Bucky showed.
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:30 am

So the ideal wind for most of these setups would be E, NE, or SE. Would hunting perpendicular winds coming from the N or S work as well? Considering they won't smell you until you're in range?

jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:01 am

How can you begin to determine which winds will work without knowing where the beds are located and directions of movement? Are you just guessing? Depending also on the creek you might get thermals or onshore/offshore breezes dictating locations close to it. The direction of flow can cause wind to be sucked downstream with the water.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”