Beginner Hunter - aerial scout advice

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NCmedic

Re: Beginner Hunter - aerial scout advice

Unread postby NCmedic » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:23 am

I'm basing it off of the yellow dots on the map that bucky posted. I'm assuming if I was hunting evening I'd want my scent heading towards the field, from east to west, and away from the swamp/ creek where the potential bedding areas are. I haven't scouted the area but I plan on scouting the transition areas and hunting where I find sign next weekend if the wind is easterly. Does anyone hunt winds that blow your scent perpendicular to the area you're hunting?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:28 am

And I was only looking at the stands west of the creek. I feel like going in further to scout or hunt would disturb the deer too much, right? I am guessing on this, never been to this location.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 am

NCmedic wrote:And I was only looking at the stands west of the creek. I feel like going in further to scout or hunt would disturb the deer too much, right? I am guessing on this, never been to this location.

This late in the game, I would scout with a stand on my back. Once you see "huntable" sign, stop and hunt it. You can always push forward on your next day out. Once you blow the bucks out, they will most likely be hard to get back on.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:16 pm

NCmedic wrote:And I was only looking at the stands west of the creek. I feel like going in further to scout or hunt would disturb the deer too much, right? I am guessing on this, never been to this location.

If you never hunt them, you will never kill them... At some point during the season you need to take a chance.
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:26 pm

I just bought a trailcam and plan on setting it up on this property. I was considering on putting it in one of the inside corners or on the transition line where I see sign. I'm trying to inventory the area and see what's out there since I've never hunted over here. Should I set up a mineral block or other "snack" to attract the deer or leave it as natural as possible?

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:31 pm

If legal... This time of year shelled corn

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks bucky! I can't wait to check out the spots you said to. Ill be sure to let you guys know what I find

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:44 pm

dan wrote:
NCmedic wrote:Bucky, I noticed that the placements of possible buck beds were on the S bends of the creek. I've learned this holds true for farmland deer where the creek is more prominent but does this hold the same for swampy areas as well?

Not answering for Bucky, but in my experiance, yes. As long as there is cover to support a bed, farm or swamp should not matter, they will bed in those bends just as Bucky showed.

Student in training here. I've read a lot on this site about bucks bedding in creek bends. Do they bed in the bottom (near the creek) or near the ridge top or somewhere in between. For reference, most of the creeks I hunt have an elevation change of +/- 50ft from creek level to ridge top.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”