Spot Checking

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Timmy

Spot Checking

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:52 pm

When you guys spot check an area, what kind of area is it? You don't want to get to close to the bedding and let the buck know he's being hunted, so what kind of areas do you target when spot checking? And when you find the sign that your looking for, how do you tell if it's fresh sign that's worth hunting or week old sign that's not worth hunting?

Zap

Re: Spot Checking

Unread postby Zap » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:05 pm

I scout new spots and am ready to hunt.
Fresh tracks can be discerned from old fairly easily, but its not always easy to see tracks.
Droppings that are fresh will be soft.

Rubs and scrapes can be looked at to see if they are fresh.
Fresh wood/shavings on rubs and fresh droppings in scrapes.

Trails that look beat down are generally doe trails.

It definitely takes a knack for it.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Timmy wrote:When you guys spot check an area, what kind of area is it? You don't want to get to close to the bedding and let the buck know he's being hunted, so what kind of areas do you target when spot checking? And when you find the sign that your looking for, how do you tell if it's fresh sign that's worth hunting or week old sign that's not worth hunting?

Start outside, never go to far in. I prefer to not enter the transition.

A good pair of binoculars is great. Glass as much as possible. Penetrate as needed.

As for fresh sign...lots of clues. Sharp track, moisture in feces, oxidation on browse, clean scrape during active leaf fall, etc. I'm sure you can find many examples from the still hunters.

Use a plot watcher or a field scan camera if the terrain allows. Set it on the outskirts looking in. Better than penetrating the local.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:00 pm

Tracks are the #1 sign I use for seeing if a big buck is actively using an area. You can skirt field edges and such and see if he is around...like others have said no reason to stomp all around right where you are going to hunt.

Zap wrote:
Trails that look beat down are generally doe trails.

This is a big mistake I see a lot of guys make early season. The heaviest trails, most browsed areas are almost always caused by a bunch of does and fawns. Big bucks keep to themselves this time of year so don't get lured into hunting that kind of sign, even if it is near where previous scouting/trail cams/shining has shown big bucks are. Bucks will be nosing around doe concentrations about mid october but not now.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:25 am

Most the public lands I hunt are 1,000 acres or less. So I will plan a day to hit them, set an observation stand in the morning back off a transition line and pretty much just watch in the morning. Depending on what I see, I will 1.) move in on a buck that was observed in the morning or 2.) scout the hard woods/field edge or least intrusive side of the transition line keeping in mind, known or suspected bedding areas and wind direction. Big tracks or big scat logs and fresh browse let you know your close. I then set up and hunt the rest of the day. A mistake I used to make was leaving warm sign to try to find super hot sign. I have found some dynamite staging areas that I would have in the past walked by. It also makes being out all day alot easier than sitting in one stand all day long and your always setting fresh sign which boost your confidence for those afternoon/evening hunts.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”