New here! looking for some help on my spot

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ohmyrod

New here! looking for some help on my spot

Unread postby ohmyrod » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Just looking for a little help on this spot. I did see a nice buck hunting a stand where the two rivers meet. any input would be great!

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: New here! looking for some help on my spot

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:24 pm

I'm sure some guys will chime in with suggestions. You should venture over to the introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself. Welcome to the Beast. I'm sure you'll feel right at home. 8-)
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Can you post a topo map? Any crops in the area?

Welcome to the Beast!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Welcome to the Beast.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:26 pm

I like the areas I circled in red. I don't like the areas I circled in yellow. This would be for day time buck movement. This is my best guess with out too much to go on. I have done a lot of river bottom hunting through the years.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ohmyrod

Unread postby ohmyrod » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Stanley, thanks for your input! could you tell my why you like those two spots most?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:03 am

By using Google maps to look at different pictures from different years, I was able to find one where I could zoom in and look at deer trails that dead end at probable bed locations. I circled a couple bed locations and highlighted the trails and marked possible hunting stand locations.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:07 am

Here are the spots (red) where I would expect buck bedding... And the spots (blue) where I would likely start hunting... After hunting the perimeter unsuccessful I would likely try and get closer. By scouting this area in spring you could find exactle where the beds are, and exactly where to hunt them. This year your best bet would be to guess in my opinion.

ohmyrod

Unread postby ohmyrod » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:41 am

Thanks for the info Dan and Stanley! Dan the stands locations you put up are right along the transition lines of course, and I shot my first buck with a bow in one of the those locations when I was sixteen. After walking the hard woods edge which is mostly oak trees, I realized there was more hunting pressure than I thought. Oddly enough I got your Hunting marsh bucks dvd before I even knew about this sight. So I decided to walk through the marsh grass to a tree line closer to the river and set up right away like you guys suggested on the dvd to not burn bridges. That night I saw the biggest buck ive ever seen while bow hunting! but it was too dark to see my pins. It sounded like it was bedded no more then 50 yards from me in a big area of dog wood. My question is do you guys think im passing up other prime areas by walking through the marsh grass to get to that location? Thanks you guys are the BEAST haha
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:52 am

ohmyrod wrote:Thanks for the info Dan and Stanley! Dan the stands locations you put up are right along the transition lines of course, and I shot my first buck with a bow in one of the those locations when I was sixteen. After walking the hard woods edge which is mostly oak trees, I realized there was more hunting pressure than I thought. Oddly enough I got your Hunting marsh bucks dvd before I even knew about this sight. So I decided to walk through the marsh grass to a tree line closer to the river and set up right away like you guys suggested on the dvd to not burn bridges. That night I saw the biggest buck ive ever seen while bow hunting! but it was too dark to see my pins. It sounded like it was bedded no more then 50 yards from me in a big area of dog wood. My question is do you guys think im passing up other prime areas by walking through the marsh grass to get to that location? Thanks you guys are the BEAST haha

Its possible your passing up good stuff when you go in deep... Its also possible your not. The only way to know is to scout really well after the season ends.
ohmyrod

Unread postby ohmyrod » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:59 am

Thanks for the help.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:07 am

ohmyrod,

As was suggested to me before, when you post a map take out the Lat - Long so other not so nice people do not go hunting areas you are working.

Good luck out there!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:19 am

ohmyrod wrote:Stanley, thanks for your input! could you tell my why you like those two spots most?

In the river bottoms the grass usually gets laid down from the winter and then the spring high water. The bucks tend to stick to the best possible cover available. If you get a dry year the grass won't grow much at all either. The best senerio is if you can get a good wet spring and then a dry period so the grass can grow tall. That is why I like the spots I circled to see bucks on their feet, "cover". I also never see a good amount of buck traffic in the peninsula side of the river. Bucks may bed there and lots of guys like the peninsulas. I just never saw the buck traffic in those areas "outside bends", that I would see in the "inside bend" of the rivers.

It all boils down to available cover in the river bottoms. Another thing to remember the food source can be tough to figure out. Red oaks, "pin oaks" are more prolific in the bottom ground than white oaks/bur oaks. If you can find a little high spot/ground where a white oak or two is available this is a sure magnet. Also check for turkey scratchings in and around the oak trees. I killed a good buck last year capitalizing on turkey scratchings under some white oaks.

This picture is an example of a river bottom I hunt. In early spring if flooding continues the grass will never grow and the cover will be the standing trees. Without the trees you have zero cover. I will try and get a picture of the river bottoms on a perfect year when the grass is 4 feet tall. I just don't have one in my library. Hope this helps.

ohmyrod

Unread postby ohmyrod » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:18 am

thanks for the heads up exojam,how would I take the lat and longitude out?
Stanley, this might be a dumb question but how do turkey scratchings help? also ever since ive hunted this spot the marsh grass has always been tall.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:18 am

,how would I take the lat and longitude out?

If you look at my pic's I did for you in this post, I marked up the photo for you in paint, and while marking it up I painted over the LAT / LONG
You could also crop it out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”