scouting help map

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ehlusive

scouting help map

Unread postby ehlusive » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:49 pm

here is a piece of property I can hunt, everything in the picture is huntable. any help would be appreciated ... some crops, clear cut, oak flats etc just about everything here. Thanks

ehlusive

Re: scouting help map

Unread postby ehlusive » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:20 am

anyone?
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:26 am

Ehlusive,

Do not worry someone will be by to mark up some spots for you. Being so inexperienced as compared to everyone else I have ideas but want to see the “big boys” come in and give you help and then see if I was somewhat correct (being the weekend it may not happen today). They will also probably throw in specific winds for the areas. Just looking at that topo I am thinking there must be at least 10 - 15 spots available.

If this falls off of the first "view active topics" page by Monday with no new information I will throw it a friendly bump.

James
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:38 am

Red = bed / Yellow is likely ambushes

ehlusive

Unread postby ehlusive » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:43 am

Thanks both of you, I have done some scouting and have a general idea of reading maps but I like to see how everyone thinks because I think it helps me understand how to read them better. I have the book "mapping trophy whitetails" and it gave me a decent grasp of saddles, benches etc. I just think I learn more when I know an area then can apply the information, such as the way Dan just marked those and I can then look at it and take in the info into relation to actually seeing the ground first hand.
ehlusive

Unread postby ehlusive » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:47 am

also, I just seen a spot Dan pointed out as bedding and I actually heard a deer jump and run off from there. I struggled to find the bed (never did actually) but it was super think and he was 75 yards away at least. I guess that is why spring time is so much better because right now its hard to spot less your right on top of it I am guessing.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:58 am

Well I was not too far off, Dan marked even more they I had thought.

Hopefully you will be posting a picture of something you take from there.

Another thing you can do but will take some time is go back to older posts where folks post topos and were shown some spots to look at and compare it to your topo. I think sooner than later you will see patterns that can be used for the future.
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:56 am

I know I am new to the site here and you have already got help from Dan. I am going suggest something and see if anyone else ever concentrates more on these areas. If I only had one day to hunt and had never set foot on the property this is the area I would focus on. I have always had good luck with hog backs(the low swell between two higher points). Combined with what appears to be a hard to travel area along the creek to the right I believe a lot of deer would use this area. Even more so if they are using the bedding areas assumed.

purple-high point
green-focus area(hog back)
red-potential bedding areas

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 am

live2hunt wrote:I know I am new to the site here and you have already got help from Dan. I am going suggest something and see if anyone else ever concentrates more on these areas. If I only had one day to hunt and had never set foot on the property this is the area I would focus on. I have always had good luck with hog backs(the low swell between two higher points). Combined with what appears to be a hard to travel area along the creek to the right I believe a lot of deer would use this area. Even more so if they are using the bedding areas assumed.

purple-high point
green-focus area(hog back)
red-potential bedding areas

Yes sir! Some of my best pre rut/rut spots are in hog backs like that one.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”