Scouting for a newb like myself

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Scouting for a newb like myself

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:16 am

whgoode wrote:I am new to the site as well. I just registered yesterday and this is one of the first threads I have browsed. I want to tell you guys how impressed I am with the answers to Shockwaves question. Although I have been deer hunting for several years I can tell that I can learn a lot from some of the hunters on this site. It is refreshing to see people share their knowledge so freely. I hunt in Georgia and Kentucky primarily and hope I can offer some worthwhile input from time to time. I am new to the tactics that this site promotes and can see that I have a lot to learn. I feel like this thread was a good start. Thank you all!!

Welcome to the greatest deer camp on this side or any other side of the virtual world!

Nice to see the following for this site growing in the south.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:18 am

Welcome Whgoode!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:45 pm

Welcome to the Beast Shockwave and thank you for your service!

Welcome to you too whgoode!

Definitely get the Hill Country & Marsh Bucks video's. You will learn a lot from each of them and they will always be there as handy reference guides.

Just out of curiosity, how did you guys find this forum?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:25 pm

this is my first post. I want to re-state what has been said all over this forum...wow! the tips, replies and information here is like nothing I have seen before. I am new to deer hunting, and did my best the last 2 years to harvest my first deer. No success. I am from central Indiana, and was curious if anyone had public land experience and success from my part of Indiana? I am dedicated, researching, and scouting with google earth, topo maps, and still needing that experienced veteran to walk me through some lands and help paint the last strokes of the deer mosaic. I spend about 80 days in the woods a year with turkey, squirrel, and deer season...I will put in the time, if someone shares the advice. thanks guys and galls! I did not want to make this a thread, but wanted to affirm everyone who has helped answer questions on this thread- appreciated!
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Shockwave

Unread postby Shockwave » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:26 pm

I was doing some research on another bowhunting site when this site was mentioned in a post. I figured I'd come check it out. My only regret is not coming across this place sooner!!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:34 pm

shockwave- thats exactly how I found it...was mentioned on indianasportsman and sure wish I would have found this last year
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Shockwave

Unread postby Shockwave » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Yep, I saw it mentioned on Bowhunting.com and I headed on over.

I just ordered Extreme Whitetail Tactics and Hill Country and am PUMPED to watch them!!!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:42 pm

whgoode wrote:I am new to the site as well. I just registered yesterday and this is one of the first threads I have browsed. I want to tell you guys how impressed I am with the answers to Shockwaves question. Although I have been deer hunting for several years I can tell that I can learn a lot from some of the hunters on this site. It is refreshing to see people share their knowledge so freely. I hunt in Georgia and Kentucky primarily and hope I can offer some worthwhile input from time to time. I am new to the tactics that this site promotes and can see that I have a lot to learn. I feel like this thread was a good start. Thank you all!!

Welcome to the Beast!! You will learn a lot here!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:48 pm

Welcome to the Beast!

What part of KY do you hunt?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:51 pm

Shockwave wrote:This is the first year I've ever hunted anything......ever.

Get ready :mrgreen: In 10-20 years you'll look back and think these were some of the best hunting days of your life. You'll be more proficient later on but getting started learning is fun! Good luck.

Welcome to the beast!
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:37 am

Southern Man wrote:What part of KY do you hunt?

I was wondering that myself.

Southern Man wrote:
Shockwave wrote:This is the first year I've ever hunted anything......ever.

Get ready :mrgreen: In 10-20 years you'll look back and think these were some of the best hunting days of your life. You'll be more proficient later on but getting started learning is fun! Good luck.

Welcome to the beast!

X2!!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”