"thermal-hub"

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

"thermal-hub"

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:45 am

I was reading a topic where Autumn Ninja was talking about a thermal hub.

I copied one of his pictures where he had circled the thermal hub in green.

Later in that thread he mentioned the East and NorthWest edges of the green circle would be excellent buck bedding potentials due to the thermal hub.

I would like to read more about thermal hubs and the buck Bedding near them.

Could someone explain these thermal hubs a little more?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

headgear
500 Club

Re: "thermal-hub"

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:43 am

Here is an example of a thermal hub in a little different terrain. The two yellow dots are beds I found in a cedar swamp at the base of some hills. You can see the high ground makes a kind of sideways V around the cedar swamp. I feel the bucks like this area because they can monitor the wind, usually out of the west during the day and they have some open sight lines and water downwind so they can see/hear what is coming. I think a buck feels pretty safe in his bed all day, however when he gets up to stage he is kind of vulnerable and wants to know (smell) what is out there. This particular buck would get up and stage at the base of these hills when the thermals would kick in just before dark. The base of each hill was torn up with rubs the year I found this bed. This area has produced consistent sightings of mature bucks over the years.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:51 am

Here is another bedding area with a thermal effect. The buck beds just off the side of the point, the yellow/green lines are his rub lines. The blue arrows are the thermals coming off the hill. There is a pile of acorns on top of that hill, but it also sees some hunting pressure so if he can catch a thermal before heading up to feed he will feel much safer. This is one of those beds where you have multiple things working for it ( swamp, point, wind off the high ground, thick cover, and thermals).

Found this bed last season but never hunted it because I liked other beds in the area better. I re-scouted it this year and was kicking myself for not hunting there. There is one lone oak at the bottom of the hill I plan to sit in, I just have to find a night with a steady wind or moon night so he is up earlier and the thermal won't give me away.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:10 am

Thanks for the examples headgear!

So these thermal hubs actually draw rising and falling thermals from multible directions at once?

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:38 am

backstraps wrote:Thanks for the examples headgear!

So these thermal hubs actually draw rising and falling thermals from multible directions at once?

I guess if a buck is bedding on a point with speed edges he could smell a rising thermal from both sides of his bedding area, not 100% sure on that but it makes sense.

On a falling thermal it can work that way, think of it as a thermal mixing zone. Lets take the topo you posted for example, if a buck is down low and the evening thermals are kicking in all that thermal activity can pool up or pass through one small area and the buck can smell a lot of the terrain above him. The black dot would be the buck and the black arrows the potential falling thermals moving down the topo.

I remember Ninja's thread, I think he had bucks that were bedding up high and then dropping down into the thermal zone to stage, they would be very hard to kill when this happens.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”