Black Out Game Cams

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blackwolf
500 Club

Black Out Game Cams

Unread postby blackwolf » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Has anyone tried a Bushnell Black Out led camera or any of the other black out models. Looking for some reviews from Beast members.

PredatorTC
500 Club

Re: Black Out Game Cams

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:29 pm

I have Black out Moultries and Coverts. Blackout cameras are the only cameras that I will use. IMO, I really believe that the red glow can scare a mature buck, and If not put them on edge or tip them off to the fact that they are being hunted. I currently have one of my black flash coverts on an apple tree that is hit all night long by a group of 5 different bucks. I think three of them are 3.5 year olds, but all of these buck will stand within 2-3 feet of the camera not bothered by the 600 pictures snapped of them each night.

A year ago, I put a M-80 (red glow) camera on the same tree, same time of the year. I got a few photos the first evening of the deer looking spooky and then after that nothing.

So to sum it up, IMO the red glow defiantly gets the deers attention. Weather or not the deer will spook is up to that deers personality.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:40 pm

PredatorTC wrote:So to sum it up, IMO the red glow defiantly gets the deers attention. Weather or not the deer will spook is up to that deers personality.

X2. If you go with a red glow, mount it high. I have little issue if I mount angled down, mounted high. However, my best areas only see the black flash. I dont want to take the chance.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:40 pm

I have 4 Covert Black outs and love them. Won't go back to IR. Haven't tried the Bushnells, but the Coverts work great.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:46 pm

I use the Bushnell HD Black LEDs and echo what everyone else has said about only using the blackout cameras if possible. They are virtually undetectable by sight. Good cameras.

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:00 am

Looking forward to pulling my Covert black 40. Its been out a month.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:30 am

Switched to all black out Moultries this yr.... bucks don't seem to notice cams are even there anymore. # of pics at feeding sights has sky rocketed compared to white flash or IR
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:31 am

Switched to all black out Moultries this yr.... bucks don't seem to notice cams are even there anymore. # of pics at feeding sights has sky rocketed compared to white flash or IR
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:54 am

Thanks for the info. Thinking of getting a Moultrie or Covert
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:11 am

blackwolf wrote:Thanks for the info. Thinking of getting a Moultrie or Covert

Get one of each and let us know which you like better.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:48 am

I have 2 black out Coverts and a buddy I think has 4-5. We greatly prefer them over the IR.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:22 am

I got two of the HCO Black flash cans. One worked great, the other one a battery exploded ruining the cam. May have been wired bad?
bb70

Unread postby bb70 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:55 am

Same results as the others... more pics but tend to not be as clear as the other ir cams imho... moultrie, bushnell, covert, and reconyx are all solid blackout cams.

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:02 am

I have a couple of the covert black cams. They work great and if you put it on Video mode you will notice that less deer are spooked by them. The only thing I don't like about the cam is the slow trigger speed. I think it's 1.6 seconds. Fine for putting over scrapes or bait if its legal but not so hot on trails and funnels.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:13 am

I bought one of the cheap primos blackout CR cams. I have it at eye level to the deer and only had (1) doe walk up to it. I have only used it on video mode. I have a home built white flash cam mounted about 6ft up and pointed down 90 degrees to the video cam. I see deer acting normal on the video, then the white flash goes off and doesn't bother them one bit. However I have a friend with a cheap primos with red glow and he has picks of a young buck starring at the cam and the next pic the buck had backed up and still focused on the cam. He has since started mounting it up high/angled down, but deer still notice it. Could be due to it making an audible clunk when it triggers, then they stare at the red glow, I don't know.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”