Bed count

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

saddlesniper

Bed count

Unread postby saddlesniper » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:09 pm

How many beds that you find on maps come to be, Out of ten. And what percent turn in to target bucks?

Jackson Marsh

Re: Bed count

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:12 pm

It's uncanny how on an aerial you can guess at buck bedding (marsh) and then walk right to a bed, usually very near to the spot you guessed at. The more you study aerials and then walk the land the easier it gets. I can't really put a percentage on it, some marshes are easier, those with a defined transition line are easiest for me. For me the hard spots are where you find a feathered transition, woods to lots of thick brush that goes on for a bit and then cattails.

I don't target specific bucks (not good enough hunter), just a good buck. This year I've targeted good to great bedding areas (I think) in the hopes that after hunting enough good spots (beds) eventually a good buck will give me a shot.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:59 pm

It depends on the terrain... In some areas I can be darn near 100% other areas maybe only 40% or less...
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:43 pm

Dan marked up a map for us of a spot in hill country. When we walked it 9 out of 10 spots he marked as possible beds were there. We even found a couple beds he didn't mark. It was impressive.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:50 am

I can find beds very easy, probably 50% of the time I mark a spot on the map it holds some kind of buck bedding sign. Maybe 15-20% of the time the sign is good enough to hunt that area. About 3-5% of the time it turns out to be a high end buck bedroom that I will hunt every season.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:26 am

I've been more accurate in Hill country.

Farmland I've been less accurate by looking at maps. A lot of places look like nothing on a map and turn out to be great bedding areas. Sure, some places stick out but I've been surprised by other places that I've found.

It really helps to walk as much as you can.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:21 am

Still learning here, but I would say 50% of the time I identify a bed from the aerial. I have gotten much better though. I also have a number of times where I pick a spot that doesn't have bedding, but after diving in the bedding isn't very far from where I suspected.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”