Scrape Thoughts?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

phade
500 Club

Scrape Thoughts?

Unread postby phade » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:22 am

I live in an area with some of the better hunting within the state, but also with some high dpsm numbers.

The immediate area (say 5-6 sq miles) is ag and broken woodlots and has always historically had a large number of scrapes in general. By that, I mean, any given parcel will have a high volume of scrapes.

One such spot within that area is a parcel I can now hunt. That parcel thus far via scouting has proven to be a very solid place to hunt for mature bucks as it holds quality bedding and is relatively difficult physically to access. I also have game cam pics of the bucks off that ground. But, in the wooded areas, I noticed MUCH less scrape activity, even past the property lines into the ag fields.

For comparison, I hunt several 10-20 acre wood lots within this 5-6 mile run, and those lots will have 10 or more scrapes. By comparison, the woods of this parcel total about 20 acres, and there's really only 3-4 scrapes, but two that I would classify as primary/community.

Curious to see what observations other have about a change in the number of scrapes from the surrounding area. Nothing really jumps out at me as to why there would be fewer scrapes. My only observation is that I believe this ground may hold more mature bucks in comparison to most of the others that I can hunt in the area.

I'm not a super huge scrape hunter, but will set up an appropriate distance away a time or two on primary scrapes that may see activity.

http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
PK_
500 Club

Re: Scrape Thoughts?

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 am

I really don't think I am qualified to tell you anything about scrapes and your area of hunting. Having said that, this sounds a bit like maybe it is an end parcel like Stanley spoke about in the current 'Farm Land' thread. I would think end parcels see less deer activity just like the end of a street sees less traffic...

Really I have no clue what I am talking about...

Sorry

/Hogwash

Someone else jump in and save the thread plz.

K thx bye.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:10 am

You might be right with your more mature bucks equaling less sign... But, I am not sure. I really never worried much about scrape quantity's. The over all majority of scrapes are made at night, and since I hunt mature bucks in the daylight I concentrate on where they move in daylight rather than sign... If, that scrape shows up near a bedding area, well then you might find me hunting it one day, or if its along a cruising funnel, or adjacent to a doe bedding area during the cruise phase.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:39 am

I noticed often that scrapes are located in traffic areas for does. While if you are in an area an see lots of rubs without scrapes. The bucks most likely are close to that area in the thickest cover an working off tension close to their beds. What scrapes that are hit during the daytime are in doe traffic areas.

I do not rely on scrapes alone. But if there is doe traffic close to buck's core area. I am there. My observations in my area tend to move with food also. Or where they are feeding at that time.

When I was younger sitting scrapes seemed only right. But I spent a lot of days watching them fill up with leaves with out the other factors present.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:42 am

The most scrapes will be found on an edge/transition of some kind. It not surprising you don't find many in the woods, but along a logging trail in the woods (edge) there should be a higher density. I have seen a direct correlation in number of scrapes with number of scrape opportunities. For example if the landowner trims all the branches that hang over along the edge of a field, there will be less scrapes. If many branches hang out into along the edge there will be many. Thats all it takes, keeping an edge mowed and sod free helps as well.

I used to think rubs and scrapes might mean more, but I currently believe all it means is a buck comes thru the area and has an opportunity to scent mark. There are areas buck move thru that they don't have opportunities (like open fields or dense brush) and areas they do (field edges and openings, food plots, certain regrowth areas)

That said the more opportunity to scent mark the better. That is the bucks focus during mid oct and exactly how I killed by buck last year. Although scent marking occurs year round, at certain times of the year IMO its the most important things for bucks, generally oct 15 to 25 in my area (western WI).
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:17 am

The responses are enlightening.

I only found one scrape in the open, but even that was in a small secluded and protected 1/3 acre opening. The others were all near doe and buck bedding areas (between them) and appeared to be of the primary/community nature. Much like what has been said, they were along edge and transition. The property has one edge along a cornfield and no scrapes were there. I would have expected a scrape in a few spots there.

The prior owner hung a cam over one in November. He was a gun hunter only and didn't really see the significance of the results. That particular scrape had 5 different 3.5s+ appear in daylight between the 4th and 11th, with three of them being 4.5s or older. Several of the deer showed on multiple days and occassions. This is starkly contrasting even the best primary scrape I have access to on other nearby properties - where I get one or two daylight appearances on cam in approximately the same length of camera soak time he had.

I know there is a reason for the difference in the number of scrapes, the activity levels, etc. I just can't seem to figure it out. My best guess is the number of mature or older bucks that move in or hold in the bedding (since it is the best in the area), and that because of the relative equal age between them, there's less volume of scrapes but increased frequency of being worked. It just seems too different to chalk up to an anomaly or "just because".

Several of the day photos also had does in the background while the bucks were front and center and does with bucks in the background mosing through the doe beds. This scrape is about 15-20 yards from known doe beds and I frequently get pics of does bedded within feet of the scrape.
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:31 am

Here's a sample pic I have on my work comp. The time stamp is an hour late, so this is a 4pm sighting. Hits to the scrape by these bucks during the first 15 days of November were 75% daytime and 25% nighttime. The daytime visits show they visit morning midday and evening.

The circles are other deer, progressive photos go on to show they are does. But, there's often numerous deer rather than just a single buck moseying through.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”