How do you go about finding buck beds?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jodipuma

How do you go about finding buck beds?

Unread postby jodipuma » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:17 pm

How do you do it/ tell difference between doe and buck beds.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: How do you go about finding buck beds?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:29 pm

jodipuma,
Certainly we can all chime in and offer you advice and our experience...however the absolute very best thing you can do for yourself is to purchase Marsh and Hill Country Bucks. The information is solid and proven and you can watch it many times and learn something new each time. It is a wealth of knowledge and unlike any other hunting video's you have ever seen. Just go to the top of the page and click on store and place your order. You will be glad you did. :D
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Buck beds are large, they are placed in an exact specific location to best protect themselves based on wind, sight, cover, escape, etc... Doe beds will seem more random. Bucks are solitary animals that worry about themselves only. Does rely on a group and often bed in circles with each doe staring out a different direction.

Welcome to the Beast! 8-)
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:17 am

I find beds using aerial and topo maps as well as plain old boot leather. I am finding that the beds I find are about 50/50, half you would not be able to pinpoint on a map and half you could. So there is no substitute for boots on the ground.

I decipher buck/doe beds by size, rubs, tracks amount/pattern of the beds, location of the bed etc... Also helps if you get a look at a deer if you bust it out of the bed...

Welcome.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:17 am

As other are chiming in with good advice I can tell you one bedding trap to avoid especially this time of year. If you are scouting field edges and find where the vegetation is flattened from bedded deer, even if they are near field edge rubs....avoid setting up on these locations. First because they are most likely night time beds used only to rest while deer chew their cud. Occasionally you will find an isolated bed with rubs at a field edge that could be a bucks bed but be aware it will probably only be viable while the crops are in or until the food source changes.

Now lone thickets or trees in the middle of a crop field are a different story. It's all about intel....learn as much as you can about these spots. I have known several people that have set stands at field edges because they had found where deer were bedded during the night to chew their cud and they never seen a deer during daylight hours.

Hope that is helpful
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
jodipuma

Unread postby jodipuma » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

PalmettoKid wrote:I find beds using aerial and topo maps as well as plain old boot leather. I am finding that the beds I find are about 50/50, half you would not be able to pinpoint on a map and half you could. So there is no substitute for boots on the ground.

I decipher buck/doe beds by size, rubs, tracks amount/pattern of the beds, location of the bed etc... Also helps if you get a look at a deer if you bust it out of the bed...

Welcome.

How do you find beds using topo maps?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:12 am

Off of points of a ridge. Thats if your hunting hill country. The best thing you can do is spend time reading new and old threads. There is years of knowlege and tactics on this site. Read away!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:52 am

How do you find beds using topo maps?

Look at the maps posted in the land management forum...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:08 am

Best advice I can give is to study this forum and then go out and practically apply the knowledge. My tips would be to slow down and really try to understand the what and why that deer may have been using the bed. Study the details and all of the clues the deer give you. If you look hard enough you can usually ascertain if it's the type of buck you want to set your sights on. Experience is the best teacher in my opinion; the more beds you find the more you learn. I kinda laugh looking back at when I first started finding beds...I look at things much differently than I did then. It's was a fun progression and I wouldn't trade those times for anything. Good luck and welcome to the BEAST :D
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:31 am

I have found that a buck will often relieve himself in his bed and does will get up to do so. This isn't a for sure tactic but 9 times out of 10 if you find deer scat in a big bed its usually a buck bed.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:18 am

gogebicbuckslayer wrote:I have found that a buck will often relieve himself in his bed and does will get up to do so. This isn't a for sure tactic but 9 times out of 10 if you find deer scat in a big bed its usually a buck bed.

When bucks relieve themselves in the beds they do so standing also... I don't this activity every where, or at every bed though... But when they do, they are standing. I have watched them do it many times.
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:27 am

Dan, do you think its safe to say that they do this to let other bucks know its their territory or to stake claim to this spot? Or are they just lazy and don't really mind laying in there business all day? Just a thought.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:30 am

gogebicbuckslayer wrote:Dan, do you think its safe to say that they do this to let other bucks know its their territory or to stake claim to this spot? Or are they just lazy and don't really mind laying in there business all day? Just a thought.

I don't know... But, if I had to guess I would say its based on some sort of marking there territory. I say this because it is done with a lot more frequency in certain areas, or certain beds over others.
Widerack
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eric.leger.7

Unread postby Widerack » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:09 am

So is it safe to say that if I find a bed with deer poop in it that it's more than likely a buck bed?
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:27 am

Buck poops taste saltier than doe poops...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”