Help with a property

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Help with a property

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:06 pm

I would hunt where your camera is...

Major funnel.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:06 am

Looks awesome man! You definitely have some shooters.

I'd move your cameras closer to the feed fields if I was you. Judging by those picture times and points in that area, you are real close to the bedding spots of those big bucks. In fact, where you have that cam would be a great place to possibly ambush those bucks during season.

Good luck this season
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:31 am

1. Do I even go back and check the cam again before season or just leave it?

2. Dive in and hunt all day when season begins. They are in there at all times and I worry about doing damage coming and going during the day.

3. Hunt a couple weekends in a row and then back off and wait for cold fronts and the rut? How much pressure is too much?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:10 am

ozzz wrote:1. Do I even go back and check the cam again before season or just leave it?

2. Dive in and hunt all day when season begins. They are in there at all times and I worry about doing damage coming and going during the day.

3. Hunt a couple weekends in a row and then back off and wait for cold fronts and the rut? How much pressure is too much?

First week is your best shot I think to kill him. I'd hunt the first week than back off until later. I don't know how much you run cameras but a lot of bucks relocate once their velvet is shed or shortly there afterwards (week or so). So that buck might not be in the same local after velvet shed. It can be due to summer range vs fall range or just a change in food preference.

If it were me, I wouldn't go back until you plan to hunt it. (I'm speaking from experience of buggering some big bucks up b4 season). I would deploy more cameras if you have them in various likely access pts to the bean fields/alfalfa fields (inside corner, tree line, etc) to try and figure out a pattern of use for where he is going (that will give you a better idea of his movement tendency and which way to access without bumping him).
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:22 am

So if Im doing all day sits in early season (September) should I enter/exit from the field edge or ridge top? I am entering from the north.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:52 am

Probably best to come up out of the valley straight to the top... if you walk the top to your camera local from the North you could start a stampede prior to getting to your hunting local.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:02 am

Thats basically what Im thinking too.

I might bust deer off the fields too though so its kind of a lesser of two evils situation.

Sitting all day early season will be extra rigorous but I just feel I would be doing twice the damage by walking out and back in again each day. Plus you never know in the middle of the day right?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:40 am

I have sat all day early season.... if cooler 9-11am movement in that local should be good

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”