Anyone still scouting??? LOL

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Anyone still scouting??? LOL

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:37 am

I've spent eight hours the last two weekends scouting a place I'll probably hunt after work several nights a week. It gets pressure but I don't think they will be hunting it like me; I think hunting during the week may help the pressure situation as well.

I braved the jungle and actually found 10 different buck beds! The area is a mixture of Hill Country and Farmland. Area looks promising and it's a whole lot better than waiting for the weekend to hunt again.... ;)

Talk about Hot and humid! I had to soak my clothes in Permethrin to survive the ticks, chiggers, etc.

The real key to my scouting was the use of my GPS with integrated topo maps; I wouldn't have been able to do it as efficiently without it. You could hold tight on the contour lines and the buck beds were exactly where I had predicted from my home scouting.

Anyone else a crazy scouter like me?

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Anyone still scouting??? LOL

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:40 am

I also found all of my kill trees for each buck bed. Most averaged 75 yards from the buck.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:09 am

I was out Monday and Tuesday. I plan on looking at another spot in a week or so. Sounds like your scouting was more productive than mine.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:16 am

Stanley wrote:I was out Monday and Tuesday. I plan on looking at another spot in a week or so. Sounds like your scouting was more productive than mine.

Stan,

I was really surprised. I wasn't sure if I would find good bedding spots with all of this foliage.

Did the ticks bother you much when you were out? Permethrin (Sawyers) has been awesome for me.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:30 am

I haven't been out in a few weeks (with the exception of glassing), probably get out in a couple of weeks for an out of state scout.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:03 pm

I got super busy with work this spring, didn't get to scout near the amount I planned. I'm hoping to break away for a few scouting forays in some new areas within the next month otherwise I am really behind the 8 ball.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Way to go MO! I pretty much shut down my scouting for now, got done what I could in the spring.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:15 pm

I've been out trimming stands I picked out in the spring...not necessarily scouting new areas.....some of these areas I knew would be thick and I wanted to wait until green up to trim them so I knew exactly what I had to do to get them ready for October.....now hopefully when I get in them in 4 months, they are set.

Sounds like you have been gathering some good intel despite the heat and foliage. Great job!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:26 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Stanley wrote:I was out Monday and Tuesday. I plan on looking at another spot in a week or so. Sounds like your scouting was more productive than mine.

Stan,

I was really surprised. I wasn't sure if I would find good bedding spots with all of this foliage.

Did the ticks bother you much when you were out? Permethrin (Sawyers) has been awesome for me.

Ticks were horrific. Gnats and Mosquitoes not bad at all. Kept myself(clothes) sprayed good with Permethrin. No bites just picked a few off. Grass was super tall for this time of year.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Woods stroll this weekend- just checking out the flowing trails and hubs.....watching crop rotation and noting if the same staging appears likely...hung a new observation stand- easy in and out- 6 ft high or so ladder; just my melon and binocs above the dogwood- will be out there in 2 weeks or so watching the fields from it and the others. This is the true lull in my hunting/observation season.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:02 pm

I plan on taking a few hikes yet if I can hit a day off work when it is a little cooler and windy. Need to set u 4 cameras in July.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:34 am

blackwolf wrote:I plan on taking a few hikes yet if I can hit a day off work when it is a little cooler and windy. Need to set u 4 cameras in July.

I gotta do that too. I probably won't put mine out until the 28th of July. Antlers should be mostly developed by then.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:21 am

Nice work Chantz! Is there still hair in the beds? Its tough to get out there in the heat and bugs. Way to stay dedicated!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:25 am

Trees cleared, a few pre sets hung, cams out, beans and clover planted and growing well, just sit back now and observe from a distance July and August. My goal is to zap one opening week! :mrgreen:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:46 am

Sweet Shot 7 wrote:Nice work Chantz! Is there still hair in the beds? Its tough to get out there in the heat and bugs. Way to stay dedicated!

Thanks man. Just trying to maximize hunt time this year by hunting more after work.

Yup, there is still hair in the beds. Not as much as April/May but enough.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”