Bed/Stand possiblities. Your thoughts please

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Bed/Stand possiblities. Your thoughts please

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:22 am

Here is a parcel of land. This border is public. However, I do have permission from the neighboring land owners to access and hunt their lands as well. So the little bit of land both North and South of the borders I can hunt.

I particularly like the eastern end of the property due to the somewhat steeper terrain falling off to the road, as well as the tight saddles for rut.
I would like to hunt this early archery, and would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

The majority of the wind is either a west wind or a northern wind.

backstraps

Re: Bed/Stand possiblities. Your thoughts please

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Here are kind of my thoughts so far. The legend being in the left lower corner...however, for some reason I like the area circles in green. I just honestly don't know if there is something there to be interested in, or just maybe my curious side caught my eye there.

On the map there shows to be a secondary road giving access to the property from the west. However, there is no sign of a road ever being there. To the far east of the property where the gravel road borders the land... there is a tremendous amount of buck sign once you get on the narrow ridge top.

What do yall think?

huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:16 pm

When it comes to picking out bedding areas, I'm not your guy (yet!). But I do see a converging hub (wagon wheel effect) in the top right of your map where it says 926. I have a feeling those deer will be cruising through there during the rut. But that saddle you picked just south of there may be just as good a spot. Just depends if you're bow of gun hunting and how open the area is I suppose.

There's also another saddle along the north border just NW of your big green circle

Looks like a fun area to figure out!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks huntinsonovagun for the reply.

When you hunt the wagon wheel hubs....converging hubs... how do you prefer to hunt them?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:57 am

Red = bed
blue = stand site
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:38 pm

Dan thanks for your mark up.

I was drawn to this parcel due to the large converging hub.

For years I have heard that the hubs are mainly for the "gun" hunter.

I cannot remember ever hunting a converging hub, simply due to the very unpredictable routes the deer could take. These hubs seem to have so many criss-cross trails covering them!

Since becoming a member here, and reading and listening, I have given a lot of thought, and change of practices when it comes to my setups, my entry, exit, the hours of the day in which I hunt, and so on. That being said, I think the BEAST method of hunting buck beds could prove a converging hub to be a deadly archery destination
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:10 pm

backstraps wrote:Dan thanks for your mark up.

I was drawn to this parcel due to the large converging hub.

For years I have heard that the hubs are mainly for the "gun" hunter.

I cannot remember ever hunting a converging hub, simply due to the very unpredictable routes the deer could take. These hubs seem to have so many criss-cross trails covering them!

Since becoming a member here, and reading and listening, I have given a lot of thought, and change of practices when it comes to my setups, my entry, exit, the hours of the day in which I hunt, and so on. That being said, I think the BEAST method of hunting buck beds could prove a converging hub to be a deadly archery destination

The best converging hubs will be the ones with the best buck bedding spots. Looks like you got a good one there.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:47 pm

I am excited to see what all is going on around there. I am not "real" familiar with the land. Only hunted a few times, but never really dove into the property. I know its late in the year to be scouting, but I am going to go and scout around here next Saturday.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:03 am

Here is your map marked with black lines indicating the areas I would want to walk/scout the most. I marked some on the neighbors, I am not promoting trespassing, it was done more for the visual aid to see what I am looking for.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:02 am

Thanks Dan

I understand about your line not promoting trespassing. Fortunately, I have permission on the land North and South of the border.

The black line you marked, that is the elevation in which most buck bed will be on correct?

Another question... during the rut when a buck is cruising and checking the wind for does...will he often travel this particular elevation line? Or will he travel just downwind of the bedding elevation line?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:05 am

backstraps wrote:Thanks Dan

I understand about your line not promoting trespassing. Fortunately, I have permission on the land North and South of the border.

The black line you marked, that is the elevation in which most buck bed will be on correct?

Another question... during the rut when a buck is cruising and checking the wind for does...will he often travel this particular elevation line? Or will he travel just downwind of the bedding elevation line?

Both bedding and cruising will occur most on the marked transition line, the thermal tunnel area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”