Help With Very Large Parcel of Public Land

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Help With Very Large Parcel of Public Land

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Its so big that i cant post a picture because it would take 3 lol. If its okay i could post a google earth or acme mapper link so its easier for everyone to navigate?? Still a little iffy about public land. Especially overwhelmed with this one.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Help With Very Large Parcel of Public Land

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:00 am

getting overwhelmed by a large chunk of public happens a lot... a lot of guys scout and hunt here and there and never get to know the land well enough to be effective at hunting it. i recommend picking out a good chunk and getting to know it inside and out (scouting) as your results will be much more consistent.

it helps us to help you if you can post an aerial and a topo of the area in question... pick out an area that suits you best and put it up. you can always post a different section of it later if needed.

Bridge
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:23 am

It took me a bit but i got it all down.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:35 am

:D I think I know that piece...sent you a PM
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:38 am

Anyone care to mark it up? Lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:42 am

Looking at this property the 1st thing I would start with would be the topo... I would consider the most common winds to be out of the West, N.West, South West, South, and North... I would mark up the potential beds for those winds as I did on the map below.
Then I would compare it to the aerial and make sure there is adequate timber to hold bedding. I would take those hiking trails into account and then look for concentrations of bedding where a buck could bed on any given wind in a relatively small area and concentrate on making some set up ups in those areas where the bucks stage. and where the bedding connects if you drew a line thru the beds (rut travel cruising)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:45 am

One thing that helps a lot with these big properties is to look at it more like several small properties. Divide it into 5 or 6 sections and scout each section and find the best spots in each section then hunt / scout as if separate parcels.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:08 am

The way I break down big stuff... is first mark all access spots (where can you get into chunk), then I mark ag fields and take a drive (see what is planted) = beans/alfalfa early, grain later in season, then I look at areas that have water (creek, ponds, river edge etc), then I circle areas based on the criteria to scout (starting with hardest to get to first typically). That should be about 10-15% of the area you posted. Picking topo spots on a map like that is tough...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:48 am

Finding close overlooked spots with buck sign and no hunter sign is generally what I do first. On a large chunk there are generally several of these spots and you can usually find potential areas quick on the map and bounce around and confirm them in just a trip or two. From there I start to look for the deeper spots as these eat up more boot time. I have shot a lot more bucks on my first trip to new land with this strategy after years of trying it in reverse. A lot of times now, I don't scout the deeper sections until my first gun season on the property, I still-hunt areas while scouting for the next season, sometimes I have my stand on my back if I expect to find a good stand location...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:19 am

I eliminate areas that won't produce to my thinking. For me it's water, open fields, hill tops, valleys, steep bluffs. I then look for areas I think will work best for me. Tables, oak savannas, saddles, bedding areas both buck and doe, things like this. The better you know a place the smaller it becomes.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:31 am

Stanley wrote:I eliminate areas that won't produce to my thinking. For me it's water, open fields, hill tops, valleys, steep bluffs. I then look for areas I think will work best for me. Tables, oak savannas, saddles, bedding areas bot buck and doe, things like this. The better you know a place the smaller it becomes.

To go along with this, when I look at a map of a big, unfamiliar area, I am basically looking for spots where I have 'high'(relative, mind you) odds of catching a big buck on his feet during daylight, during season. That buck may cover miles of that territory, but it may only be a matter of yards that he navigates outside the security of darkness. This mindset has really shrunk my scouting forays.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:15 am

I fall more in line with Bucky here, pretty much skipping all the easy access stuff in favor of remote or hard to access stuff. I've put in a lot of time scouting overlooked spots close to the road or access points but that stuff just doesn't work on my public ground, found more hunter sign than anything so never underestimate how far people are willing to not walk in the woods. :lol:
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:17 am

headgear wrote:I fall more in line with Bucky here, pretty much skipping all the easy access stuff in favor of remote or hard to access stuff. I've put in a lot of time scouting overlooked spots close to the road or access points but that stuff just doesn't work on my public ground, found more hunter sign than anything so never underestimate how far people are willing to not walk in the woods. :lol:

I found a low impact spot close to the road on public and it's very difficult to access from any of the parking areas. We will see this Fall who else has thought the same thing! :lol:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:53 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I found a low impact spot close to the road on public and it's very difficult to access from any of the parking areas. We will see this Fall who else has thought the same thing! :lol:

I've got a couple spots like that, as long as they are hard to access they can be good. I usually need waders to cross some nasty stuff or river if we are talking close to the road/trail stuff. ;)
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:38 am

headgear wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I found a low impact spot close to the road on public and it's very difficult to access from any of the parking areas. We will see this Fall who else has thought the same thing! :lol:

I've got a couple spots like that, as long as they are hard to access they can be good. I usually need waders to cross some nasty stuff or river if we are talking close to the road/trail stuff. ;)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Exactly the same for me. You have to cross a huge creek to get to my spot. Found great buck beds not 75 yards from the blacktop. A great place to escape pressure. The deer also cross the blacktop at night and feed in the neighbors crop fields.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”