Hill country map

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

djw195

Hill country map

Unread postby djw195 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:41 am

Hey everyone,

Found the sight and have been absolutely loving all the info, my mind has been really flooded with all the knowledge I've gained. I didnt get an opportunity to go to one of Dans workshops this year so I thought I would post up a pic for the beast to take a look at. This is a snippet of a property I hunt. What does everyone think as far as bedding and hunting it is concerned? Any questions let me know.

Thanks

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hill country map

Unread postby dan » Thu May 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Red is probable bedding, blue is likely good spots to hunt (especially rut)
djw195

Unread postby djw195 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:06 pm

Hey Dan, thanks for the reply.

Very interesting, a few of these spots I have confirmed beds...and some others I would have never thought of for bedding spots...and I've scoured this map dozens of times! Perspective means everything.

Anyone else who has any input that would be great, just trying to learn as much as possible.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:32 pm

Dan, what exactly is the reason for the rut spots?(blue dots) just curious as to what it is that sticks out to you. Maybe i can apply it to some of m maps

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
djw195

Unread postby djw195 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:19 am

I would like to know as well. I know 'deep cuts' are a favorite to hunt in hill country from the dvd and for very good reason, but what makes a deep cut more desirable than others? Proximity to bedding? Amount of bedding? How tightly it funnels deer?

Heres another question: From the hill country dvd, deer like to bed and generally travel 1/3 from the top of the hill, on the leeward side, taking advantage of a thermal tunnel affect when thermals are active. What wind would you hunt these stands? SW? I know that from the dvd its said to hunt the high side and the deer travel below you. How high is the chance of the deer winding you from traveling into your scent stream?

Thanks everyone
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:35 am

The spot I have dotted with a circle is killer rifle set up... lots of different draws with a few potential bedding points. Do you own this land? Which state.... rifle county?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:03 am

Im curious about the blue spot areas too. I have found that does often to bed up inside wide draws. Is that why those areas could be good stand sites???
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
djw195

Unread postby djw195 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:37 am

Yes, I know the property well, its a family farm that I've been hunting for 10 or so years. However, I never got to know it in depth until finding Dan's info and the Beast, it took my scouting to a whole new level and made me be much more critical on myself on how much I knew about the local deer. I'll say that the dvds and site have really taught me to raise the bar on how much i need to know about a property. Good thing I love to go scouting!!!

Here's a map of confirmed beds, either by finding them or bumping deer. Red are beds, the orange dot is a buck that I jumped from his bed...thats the only buck bed I have found...haven't gotten down the skill of locating buck beds yet.

Bucky, As far as the gun hunting set up I definitely like the idea and have seen quite a bit of traffic in that area on many opening days. As you pointed out, a bunch of draws kind of come together there and focus deer travel. Unfortunately, that finger is the property border and I cant shoot down the hill.

All the suggestions are awesome everyone, I appreciate the discussion.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:13 am

admiral04 wrote:Dan, what exactly is the reason for the rut spots?(blue dots) just curious as to what it is that sticks out to you. Maybe i can apply it to some of m maps

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

The tops of draws are often the closest you can get to a bedded buck and control your scent stream. If you look close, in a lot of cases you could have the wind blowing over the draw and still have the right wind for the buck to bed there and leave the bed feeling confidant with the wind in his nose.
Bucks usually travel around to the top of a draw and there is often a funneled crossing near the top... Cruising bucks during the rut for sure use these crossings.
The crossings are often right at about the same elevation line where the bed.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:16 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Im curious about the blue spot areas too. I have found that does often to bed up inside wide draws. Is that why those areas could be good stand sites???

I have seen this on occasion, but not often... I think certain draws funnel wind (scent) in a way to make them great bedding spots. Since we don't smell like a deer does, I think we have to just about stumble into these spots and find them to know they exist.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”