I think I had success...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

christian1
500 Club

I think I had success...

Unread postby christian1 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:07 am

but I am not quite sure. I found a bed in about 30yds off a field in between the field and marsh in the tags. Beds was up against a group of tag alder. Bed had a bunch of hair in it. The bed was still warm. There were a bunch of rubs very near the bed.

Problems:

1. The only huntable trees are right on the edge of the field and only 30 yds from the bed. The trees are directly south of the bed. I should be able to get to them without being seen. I don't think the buck can see the field from the bed. I think he is probably relying on noise and smell more in this bed. The next huntable tree is to the east about 75 yds, but I don't see any reason for him to go in that direction. If anything I would see him milling around to the west more which puts him closer to the private.

2. I am worried because the land is public and only about 100 yds from private. What if I do succeed and the buck runs on to the private?

I took pics of the hair and the bed. I will try to post them later if I figure out how.

chris

PLB
500 Club

Re: I think I had success...

Unread postby PLB » Sun May 12, 2013 10:20 am

Yeah pics and a topo and aerial would really help!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:31 am

After some failed attempts--how do I post a pic. Not sure how to get a topo or google earth image without giving away exactly where it is.

chris
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:49 am

christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:51 am

That worked! The red line is the border of what I can and can't hunt. The bed is marked in yellow and the tree that is nearest in white. The prevailing wind is the nice pink arrow.

chris
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:53 am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun May 12, 2013 1:19 pm

I would say that is indeed a bed. Buck bed??? Not so sure. :think:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Sun May 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I would say that is indeed a bed. Buck bed??? Not so sure. :think:

Well, I am glad we can agree on that.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Anybody else willing to put in their two cents?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Problems:

1. The only huntable trees are right on the edge of the field and only 30 yds from the bed. The trees are directly south of the bed. I should be able to get to them without being seen. I don't think the buck can see the field from the bed. I think he is probably relying on noise and smell more in this bed. The next huntable tree is to the east about 75 yds, but I don't see any reason for him to go in that direction. If anything I would see him milling around to the west more which puts him closer to the private.

2. I am worried because the land is public and only about 100 yds from private. What if I do succeed and the buck runs on to the private?

Problem number 1 does not seem to be a problem unless the buck is leaving a different direction?

problem #2 - Make a good clean shot and he should die before he gets there. And, looking at that aerial, I don't think he would run towards the private. I think he would head for the thick.
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Sun May 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I would say that is indeed a bed. Buck bed??? Not so sure. :think:

Why are you not so sure that its a buck bed?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun May 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Timmy wrote:

I just don't want to assume every bed is a buck bed unless there are certain details explaining why it is a buck bed. Its real awesome knowing christian1 is putting in the work to find these things though. Keep up the good work and keep us updated!
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:54 pm

dan wrote:
Problems:

Problem number 1 does not seem to be a problem unless the buck is leaving a different direction?

problem #2 - Make a good clean shot and he should die before he gets there. And, looking at that aerial, I don't think he would run towards the private. I think he would head for the thick.

Dan, what I think is happening is that the buck is staying in that thick until darkish and then walking directly south into the crop field to eat. He would walk right to the trees I have marked. I am a bit new to this, but setting a stand 30 yds away from a bedded buck seems like a problem from my perspective. I would much rather set in the trees that are 75 yds east, but I see no reason for him to go over that way and present a shot.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon May 13, 2013 1:40 am

30 YARDS WOULD be an issue for most guys, but you stated you could get there undetected. Don't seem to be a problem then. I don't think I ever set up at 30 yards, but I do have a few sets at 40 or more. If its that uncomfortable set up at 75.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon May 13, 2013 1:45 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
Timmy wrote:

I just don't want to assume every bed is a buck bed unless there are certain details explaining why it is a buck bed. Its real awesome knowing christian1 is putting in the work to find these things though. Keep up the good work and keep us updated!

Looks like a buck bed to me... Size of bucks using it, and how often its used should be the main questions. Doe only beds are more random, and are in groups, and are set up o monitor danger as a group (circle fashion) Thats not to say lone does, or small groups of two or three don't occasionally bed in buck areas. But, certainly this has the traits of a buck bed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”