Marsh Beds and how do they exit their Beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rutnbuck

Marsh Beds and how do they exit their Beds

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sat May 11, 2013 3:01 am

Been scouting quite a bit since the workshop and have come up with some great results. In fact a near 100inch shed was found a couple weeks ago out in the field (food source) edge. Just to the south of this bed, probly a 1/3 of a mile. I've found bucks beds back in the thick redbrush of the marsh. Question? The spokes on the wheel theory. I found the spokes coming in and out of this bed. Found the trails surrounding that bed and those that connect those spokes also. I can get about 75 yards from this particular bed that I plan on hunting. Should I concentrate on those spoke trails that lead in and out of his bed or get closer to the trails connecting the spokes (they seem to be closer to his bed). Correct me if I'm wrong but when he gets up during daylight he probly isn't bee-lining the spoke trails but maybe wandering around his bed on those connecting trails??? I can see him using those trails that circle around his bed for when he comes in to bed by scent checking his bed before he comes up into his bed. Looking for the experienced probabilty of what he may do or what the average whould be on how mature bucks exit their bed. Basically will he wait just before dark, get up and depending on what wind direction it happens to be choose what spoke he will directly use right away or use those connecting trails to meander till dark and then hit the the main trail going out???
Picture of bed (kinda cool) 8-)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Marsh Beds and how do they exit their Beds

Unread postby dan » Sat May 11, 2013 4:29 am

This is a tough question to answer considering all the variables... But I will try.

When bucks get up in the evening to head out, they seem to me to be hungry and ansey to get going, however worried about danger. They seem to feed in the direction they want to travel in pretty much a straight line. They will wander around some of the small trails sometimes if there is browse while they wait for dark... But, directionally, they seem to have there minds made up.

In the morning, they seem to come in more content. The circle to get the wind just right, J-hook to get anything tracking them to wander past there sight/smell line, etc. They are harder to predict at the bed in the mornings...

As far as evenings go, try to figure out what he may be feeding on at the time of the year and assume a direction of travel in the direction of that food or sign (rubs scrapes, etc.) Usually they are taking the beat path in the evening. Some times there is only one way they come out unless they sense danger, sometimes there are 2 or more... If you can view from a safe distance without risk of spooking, thats a good option.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”