Scouted NE Iowa and SW WI hill country 5/3- 5/5

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Scouted NE Iowa and SW WI hill country 5/3- 5/5

Unread postby PLB » Tue May 07, 2013 3:49 am

Well I'm back hunting the hills during the rut again this season!! I took last season off as many of you know and killed a 140 inch public buck. Come November when the rest of our group was down seeing great bucks in the hills, I was hunting does here :lol: So I gave the landowner a call and told him I really regretted not hunting there last season. It was the first time I missed it after 8 straight seasons of rut hunts down there. Friday was MISERABLY COLD AND WET!! Saturday and yesterday were gorgeous. Felt great to be walking the hills with the thundering toms echoing across the valleys!! 8-) I have 2 Iowa pref. points also and My brother, Dad, and two other guys all should draw for this season so we scouted Iowa too!! I forgot to apply last year :oops: :oops: Now I'm a year behind :oops: Anywho we ended up finding some good sign there but 7 dead fawn kills from the coyotes!! LONG winter!! Marked some spots. Gonna head back Memorial wknd and the next wknd...Couldn't get to some prime looking spots because the water was HIGH AND ROARING!! :shock: Caught up on some BS and trail cam pics from last season. Looked over maps and sheds the landowner found this spring. Gonna be hunting there Nov.9 to 16th in SW WI this year. Hope that isnt too late for the best action?? This season will be the latest I ever hunted down there. We used to go the last week of Oct. or 1st week of November. Just the way things worked out this season. Anyways it was great to be back in the hills and hollows :D Missed it more than I thought....PLB...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouted NE Iowa and SW WI hill country 5/3- 5/5

Unread postby dan » Tue May 07, 2013 4:19 am

I wish I could hunt it all P.L.B. The hills, the farms, the swamps the marshes, the river bottoms.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue May 07, 2013 4:49 am

As the Nuge says "the spirit of the woods, is like an old good friend". There's nothing like getting back into a piece of woods that you have history with! You're becoming part of those hills & hollows. :mrgreen:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue May 07, 2013 5:39 am

Great post "variety is the spice of life".
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Now your refreshed and ready to get back at er down there. 8-)
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue May 07, 2013 1:00 pm

Sounds like a good time PLB!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue May 07, 2013 1:11 pm

xpauliber wrote:As the Nuge says "the spirit of the woods, is like an old good friend". There's nothing like getting back into a piece of woods that you have history with! You're becoming part of those hills & hollows. :mrgreen:

8-) man there's nothing like hunting in hill country its something i cant explain ...then again im fairly new to cattail marshes and there's nothing like an after noon in the marsh either 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”