double-take scout

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

double-take scout

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed May 01, 2013 10:36 am

I've had some interesting scouting the last couple of days near a small marsh. I felt this area was somewhat overlooked and worth my time to take a look. This is a very heavily pressured area of public land and I hoped nearly all hunters would overlook this particular spot. I see no sign of anyone hunting it... good enough.

After walking the transition line of the marsh and checking out little micro-islands and points off of the mainland, I finally found a big bed next to a white pine on the west side of the marsh.

There were no rubs in the bed, but as I mentioned it was extra large with 3/4" average length droppings in it.. which along with the hair showed some recent use. There were no other obvious beds nearby so I walked the transition lines looking for more buck sign... and finally a found a lone rub from last season about 70 yards off of the bed. I don't get concerned with a lack of rubs, as older bucks in my area tend to leave less sign as they age.

After wrapping up scouting the immediate high ground area, I moved east into the marsh toward a little micro-island- a lot of times I will find a buck bed on this type of terrain, but to my surprise I found an exceptional scrape for the heavy pressure public land- It was about 12 feet long and three feet wide and showed signs of recent pawing as well as licking branch use. This scrape has over a dozen licking branches over the scrape itself and there were hundreds of deer droppings in it of various sizes and age:

But after getting home and reviewing my notes, I took a look at the satellite picture one more time... something bothered me about it. Earlier in the day, Standing on the edge of the marsh and looking East, I could see no real tree's or high ground with the exception of the island with the big scrape... and yet just off of the buck bed I could see a "wagon wheel" of runways in the cattails going in multiple directions- like the spokes on a wheel while I examined the aerial photo. Based on past experience, this screamped "high probability buck bed!" But I remained perplexed as I had walked nearly on top of it without noticing anything earlier. Nontheless a return visit was in order and bingo- a good bed up against a small wall of brush just up onto a small knob that stood above water level. The "wagon-wheel" effect paid off. This pic shows both beds as well as the "spokes on a wheel" series of runways in the cattails from the marsh bed:

Here's a pic while kneeling in the marsh bed and looking toward the large bed under the white pine- it won't be long before the cattails block this view:

hunter_mike

Re: double-take scout

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed May 01, 2013 11:56 am

Really good post
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed May 01, 2013 1:14 pm

hunter_mike wrote:Really good post

X2

Good find! Really highlights the importance of aerials.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Wed May 01, 2013 1:19 pm

awesome. Thanks for sharing.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 pm

8-)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri May 03, 2013 5:40 am

Nice, way to corralate everything for us.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun May 05, 2013 3:19 am

Great post.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”