4/19 iowa zone 9 public land scout

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hoot
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gary.schwartz.332

4/19 iowa zone 9 public land scout

Unread postby hoot » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Well I finally made it to Iowa to get a little scouting in for hopefully a hunt this season. I left early this morning and arrived around 10:30. This is way more rural than what I'm use to. Was on dirt roads for quite a ways. Reminded me of being up north. I looked out from the parking lot and you could immediately see where the hunters go. So I took a left straight from lot and paralleled 50yds off road till I cut a deer trail not 75yds from lot.
I followed the trail which took me pretty much where I wanted. Up and then along a ridge which was headed toward the points I wanted to check. Lots of deer sign. As I neared the 1st point I noticed a faint trail headed up the ridge with some fairly big terds.
I followed it up a little ways and started seeing more large terds. Then some decent tracks. Then I found a bed.
Image[/URL

It even had some hair
[URL=http://s476.photobucket.com/user/hootowl_album/media/IMG_1196_zps9c3a37b6.jpg.html]Image

Here's the view from bed

Up above bed

About 20yds above the bed is a heavy trail and about 50yds above that is a crp field. Below is the heavy trail I was following and then the valley down below.
I didn't see any rubs here but I think it's a buck bed due to the size of terds and tracks. The ridges are littered with oaks and on the far side of the valley are crops.
I had a hard time trying to find a good access route and kill tree/trees.

I then went further from lot and crossed 3 ridges in process. i finally started getting into some thicker stuff. Everything seemed to open for me. The sign was getting much better. The next couple points were a bust. Then I found more large tracks and terds and those were heading in direction I wanted. Towards a nice long point that overlooked the creek and a crop field. It was nice and thick too. Lots of terds.

1st rub

A track

Some browsing

Then I found the bed

This one sits on a point that appears gets used on south or se wind. Which was probably a lot last year,lol. Just to the left is a finger that gradually slopes down to the NW side of the crop field. It's littered with rubs.
The bed is just past and to the left of the last rub in this pic.
View from bed looking back on rub trail I just came down.
Deers view from bed
URL=http://s476.photobucket.com/user/hootowl_album/media/IMG_1228_zpsaa5c0ce9.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
Behind bed
One of several scrapes running down finger
URL=http://s476.photobucket.com/user/hootowl_album/media/IMG_1231_zpsafadcb8a.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

This one I was able to figure an access route and a kill tree. It's a small cedar about 75yds nw of the bed as trail goes down the finger.
View of tree from trail

As I headed back to lots I stopped to check my map and something caught my eye. I saw a deer feeding its way down ridge 75yds in front of me. I sat down and watched browse then bed down. Strange this was it bedded opposite direction. Was facing up hill with wind in its face. About 5 mins later something caught its attention causing it to to rise. a couple more deer headed up the ridge. This time it turned and bedded the correct direction. I watched for about 1/2hrs while it groomed itself and just chilled. Something kept getting its attention to its left but I could never see anything. I got up and backed off without it ever knowing I was there.
I was hoping to find a shed or 2 but I didnt. All in all it was a pretty good scout and I only touched 1/2 of it. Going to hit a different property tomorrow.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: 4/19 iowa zone 9 public land scout

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Sounds like you are doing pretty good. Thanks for the walk through.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Looks good hoot! That had to get the blood pumping. :D
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Sounds like a good scout Hoot!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:45 am

Looks like some great public land! 8-)
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:50 am

Those are nice rubs. Your area looks thick.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:33 am

Very cool! I should have enough points next year so will be out there next spring on public land. Got my eye on a couple of pieces of land :shhh:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:01 pm

Sounds like there may be a few beast members in zone 9 this year, we should get together for a beer

hoot

Unread postby hoot » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Sounds like there may be a few beast members in zone 9 this year, we should get together for a beer

I'm not quite sure if I'll be hunting this year. I've got plenty of points but it's all dependent on couple things. I'm scouting for a customer/friend of mine from northern California. He likes to hunt one or 2 out of state big game hunts a year and is interested in Iowa. He doesnt want to go through an outfitter and since i'm just a few hrs away he asked if I would scout for him and his friend. In exchange he'll pay for my expenses along with a tag to help him and his friend. Problem 1) He turned 70yrs old this year and wont hunt out of treestand so bowhunting is out. He wants to shotgun/muzzleload. He's use to hunting the mountains in Cali so these hills are nothing.
Problem 2) they only have 1pt, 2 after applying this year. I have 6. We'll have to apply as group and I'm not sure if 2 pts is enough for shotgun tag. I know it wont touch a bow tag. So if they dont get tag, I dont get tag.
Problem 3) I've got a tough semester this fall so not sure if I'll be able to fully hunt it with bow. I've waited a long time for this tag and dont wanna go for a weekend.

So I'm just getting ready. Hopefully it all works out.
hoot

Unread postby hoot » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Those are nice rubs. Your area looks thick.

I was actually dissapointed in the lack of thick areas. The spot where those rubs are is the thickest area. The rest was pretty open hardwoods, though I'm sure it thickens up good on greenup.

Does NE Iowa have emerald ash borer problem? Or are they deploying preventive measure? Every ash tree was either girdled or cut down. Some looked a couple years old and others this year. This really opened up wooods but also opens canopy for some good undergrowth.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:59 am

Looks good Gary!
I might get out there one day too...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”