Public Land Puzzle

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Public Land Puzzle

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 am

M.P. is one of the few that I WOULD call without a worry. 8-)

This buck was used for discussion, I've actually patterned multiple bedding areas for him and approaches and exits to each, his rubs/scrapes/beds/droppings/tracks etc. I've also patterned several doe families in the immediate area and their general patterns. I have multiple stand sites I prepared for him last winter. I have a strong understanding of his core area, and the last time I was there so was he. There's more, but I've put in a little time on this guy and a pretty good number of other bucks on the heavy pressure public. Like the rest of you, the season can't get here quick enough!

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:22 am

Good luck with that one, hope you in the Big Buck Contest.. on second thought maybe not. :P :P :P
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks Squirrel- Dan's got some great prizes in the contest this year!
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:38 am

I'd say a 4 finger track is not a two year old. Good luck with him.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:16 am

Thanks Greg- keep me posted on how that new bow is working for you. 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:46 am

I want to add a couple more things about this "puzzle" buck that I think you'll find of interest. This rubline is there every year, and when the buck that makes it disappears a new one takes over the bedding and starts rubbing. I have yet to hunt these bucks, as I first discovered the rubline about five years ago when a MUCH larger buck was rubbing but I didn't have time to hunt there. This rubline is on VERY heavy pressure public land right next to a woods road, and yet I never find a treestand or ground blind near it :?: This is actually common for the tracks and rublines I find on the public- I have scouted out many other perennial rublines with buck tracks that never have an indication of being hunted, as amazing as that sounds.

This "puzzle" buck is one of the smallest/youngest I have scouted out for this upcoming season on public land. The point I want to add is finding rublines, tracks and travel routes is not enough on the heavy pressure public. If I'm not set up within the buck's safety zone, or staging area near his bed- I will have little chance of seeing him during daylight. He may make a mistake and come out early one day, but what are the odds of me being on that stand that exact day? If I hunt the stand(s) frequently he will likely relocate. This is where carefully setting up as close to the buck's bed as you can, while skillfully playing the wind- and only hunting the stand a few times an entire season- will make or break the hunt on heavy pressure public land.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:I want to add a couple more things about this "puzzle" buck that I think you'll find of interest. This rubline is there every year, and when the buck that makes it disappears a new one takes over the bedding and starts rubbing. I have yet to hunt these bucks, as I first discovered the rubline about five years ago when a MUCH larger buck was rubbing but I didn't have time to hunt there. This rubline is on VERY heavy pressure public land right next to a woods road, and yet I never find a treestand or ground blind near it :?: This is actually common for the tracks and rublines I find on the public- I have scouted out many other perennial rublines with buck tracks that never have an indication of being hunted, as amazing as that sounds.

This "puzzle" buck is one of the smallest/youngest I have scouted out for this upcoming season on public land. The point I want to add is finding rublines, tracks and travel routes is not enough on the heavy pressure public. If I'm not set up within the buck's safety zone, or staging area near his bed- I will have little chance of seeing him during daylight. He may make a mistake and come out early one day, but what are the odds of me being on that stand that exact day? If I hunt the stand(s) frequently he will likely relocate. This is where carefully setting up as close to the buck's bed as you can, while skillfully playing the wind- and only hunting the stand a few times an entire season- will make or break the hunt on heavy pressure public land.

We don't leave our stands Scott.......but we may have been there! 8-) The terrain in your pics looks awfully familiar! ;)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:16 am

dang it, Brian- keep out of my heavy pressure public land! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”