Where to begin?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Knute78
500 Club

Where to begin?

Unread postby Knute78 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:45 am

I just got permission to bow hunt this property. The red lines are 2 ft contours. This is an area of approximately 2 to 3 miles of winding river bottom and more than 1200 total acres to scout and potentially hunt. Much of it is Ag. and mainly limited to gun hunting currently. they usually get one or two nice ones out of here with the rifles. Pretty much everything you see I have access to. Input on where to start looking for beds and potential stand site would be greatly appreciated before I step foot on the property. Plus there is a ton of snow hindering scouting efforts currently.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Where to begin?

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:18 am

Looks great. Check the bends in the river for beds. Thats one likely place.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:54 pm

On my computer right now and I can see the pics better. Looks like a great piece of ground! Congrats!!

I bet if you walk those bends on both sides of that creek/river you will find a majority of the buck bedding on that property. There also looked like some good transition lines in that cover as well. In addition, there is also a bunch of isolated cover out in the crop ground I would walk and check for beds. Any of those spots could hold a big one.
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 am

Thanks MO. I will update once I get a chance to head out. Hopefully spring flooding isn't too bad or that could delay me a bit further.

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:16 am

Knute78 wrote:Thanks MO. I will update once I get a chance to head out. Hopefully spring flooding isn't too bad or that could delay me a bit further.

Good deal. I'm curious to see what you find.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:48 am

I would walk the edge of the woods expecting to find edge bedding on the downwind sides where a buck can watch the open fields... I would then walk the steep drop off elecation looking for beds where the wind blows over the drop off... Then, I might check out the inside bends along the river where wind blows into the bend.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”