Jumping deer from their beds at this time of year.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Jumping deer from their beds at this time of year.

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:46 am

What do you guys think of jumping deer from their beds at this time of year. How much damage does a person do? Is what you learn from this worth it or not? I have some bedding areas I think bucks are using, but want to know for sure. I ask myself this question every year, and always decide not too jump them. Then I think even if I screwed it up for this year there is always next year, because every year I wish I would have just done it last year. I have looked during my spring scouting but haven't found any real evidence in these areas then. This is agricultural land interspersed with small woodlots. Is there a "better" time to jump them or not? What do you all think?

Arrowbender
500 Club

Re: Jumping deer from their beds at this time of year.

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:22 am

I haven't jumped them on purpose, but have accidentally jumped them and then used that info to hunt.
Case in point: 2 or 3 yrs ago I was pre hanging a stand in late Aug. when I jumped a nice buck from his bed. I was staying high away from the swamp so I wouldn't spook any Bucks, but this guy was up high overlooking an old logging road. I was probably 70 yrds from him when he got up. I walked up to where he got up from but didn't linger there long or touch anything with my hands.
I also didn't hang a stand any where near there yet.
On opening weekend of archery, when the wind was right I set up approx. 80 yrds away from the bed and about 2 hrs before dark I started my grunting regimine.
He came in on a string an hour before dark. He actually came in with the wind at his back. He had the body of a 3 yr old but the rack of a two yr old. (18" wide but only 8 points and spindley).
I passed.
I still don't know if I have the seeds to do it on purpose, but you've got me thinking! ;) :idea:
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:48 pm

It definately won't do near as much harm now as it will in another month or so. I think if you soft bump them, they will most likely forget about it in a few days or maybe even just a few hours......The thing about this time of year is how patternable the bucks can be, if you have a vantage point to glass from and a food source close to where you think the bedding is, I would first try glassing to see if any mature bucks are hitting the food and where they are coming from. It may confirm your suspicions without them even knowing you have them pinned down. But if this isn't feasible I would try the soft bump.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:36 pm

lungbuster wrote:It definately won't do near as much harm now as it will in another month or so. I think if you soft bump them, they will most likely forget about it in a few days or maybe even just a few hours......The thing about this time of year is how patternable the bucks can be, if you have a vantage point to glass from and a food source close to where you think the bedding is, I would first try glassing to see if any mature bucks are hitting the food and where they are coming from. It may confirm your suspicions without them even knowing you have them pinned down. But if this isn't feasible I would try the soft bump.

X2

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”