Rut scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Rut scouting

Unread postby Brad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:04 pm

I just could not resist today, it was too nice of a day to sit inside and think about scouting so I decided that even though the snow is deep (10" to a foot in most places) I would get out and at least try some scouting.

I went to a spot close to home that I have never scouted and went in not sure where to start. I found some tracks made in the past day or two (since the last snow on tuesday) and finally just walked into a valley and started looking around. I found a great rut spot , will work perfect with the rare north east wind, is perfect for entry and exit and showed a lot of promise. I found a lot of doe beds (in circles and in brush piles) and a load of tracks and droppings, and found a good funnel to squeeze them down. I didn't see much when I first walked in because it was relatively open, but once I got up into the thicker stuff I found all the sign.

The snow is too deep to do a lot of scouting for specific buck beds but I think it is great for spot checking potential rut spots where you are hunting the terrain as much as any specific buck. Now if the snow will leave I can start looking for my non rut spots, but I figure any afternoon scouting is better than a day on the couch thinking about scouting.

I have a lot of photo's I took that I will upload, and I kicked up a single deer that was rather large, I am pretty sure it was a buck but it was hard to say, it was in a spot where I would not expect a buck to be bedding though. Also saw 5 turkeys and about 100 million turkey tracks, so it might be a dual season spot. I am going back in tomorrow to go in deeper and find more spots.

Oh, and Dor's HUNT IT app is awesome! :mrgreen:

gogebicbuckslayer

Re: Rut scouting

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Great ambition!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I just could not resist today, it was too nice of a day to sit inside and think about scouting so I decided that even though the snow is deep (10" to a foot in most places) I would get out and at least try some scouting.

I went to a spot close to home that I have never scouted and went in not sure where to start. I found some tracks made in the past day or two (since the last snow on tuesday) and finally just walked into a valley and started looking around. I found a great rut spot , will work perfect with the rare north east wind, is perfect for entry and exit and showed a lot of promise. I found a lot of doe beds (in circles and in brush piles) and a load of tracks and droppings, and found a good funnel to squeeze them down. I didn't see much when I first walked in because it was relatively open, but once I got up into the thicker stuff I found all the sign.

The snow is too deep to do a lot of scouting for specific buck beds but I think it is great for spot checking potential rut spots where you are hunting the terrain as much as any specific buck. Now if the snow will leave I can start looking for my non rut spots, but I figure any afternoon scouting is better than a day on the couch thinking about scouting.

I have a lot of photo's I took that I will upload, and I kicked up a single deer that was rather large, I am pretty sure it was a buck but it was hard to say, it was in a spot where I would not expect a buck to be bedding though. Also saw 5 turkeys and about 100 million turkey tracks, so it might be a dual season spot. I am going back in tomorrow to go in deeper and find more spots.

Oh, and Dor's HUNT IT app is awesome! :mrgreen:
what is this app youre talking about?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Dor's Hunt IT app, I love it!

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:06 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:Dor's Hunt IT app, I love it!

Sounds good Brad! Did you find the bed of the big deer that you kicked up?

Also, can you elaborate on Dor's app? What does it do? My wife just got me an iPhone so this could be interesting!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:51 am

Found this from yesteryear if this helps...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7005&p=71992&hilit=hunt+it#p71992
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:08 am

Good stuff Brad- I know exactly what you mean by having to go scouting with nice weather. We still have snow here but not as much as you. I went scouting the other day and cut the tracks of one of my target bucks, right where I always find them. Its good to know he is alive and well, along with being very large and mature. Scouting the snow can be productive in a multitude of ways.

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:16 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Found this from yesteryear if this helps...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7005&p=71992&hilit=hunt+it#p71992

Thanks Ed. He says it's Android based. I wonder if they have an iOS app yet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”