Marsh scout 3/2/2013

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Marsh scout 3/2/2013

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:44 pm

I didn't get out last weekend, so I was chomping at the bit to get out into the marsh. Had a great day for scouting, NW wind, sunny and in the high twenties. Lots of snow on the ground so I used snowshoes. I followed the transition line and cut quite a few tracks. As I got deeper into the marsh I found the tracks of three bucks traveling together

Pic of the largest track.

I followed the bucks for quite a distance, trying to find beds, when it was obvious they were heading very deep into the cattails with no cover in sight I broke off and checked out some likely looking brush piles.

This patch of brush and a few small trees is about 100 yards off of the big woods. Nothing recently had been bedding there, but I've got a gut feeling based on the setup and location that this is a buck bedding area.

I found three spots which I believe to be buck beds (will have to confirm after snow melt) based on the slight depressions in the marsh grass.

After taking the picture I did brush away snow looking for hair, none was found. I sat and stood in the bed and picked out a tree to hunt from.

I walked to the tree and was happy to see it should work for a SW wind. I found an additional tree for a NW wind. I continued on and found a few other beds and what I believe should be a dynamite rut spot on the transition line.

You don't always get the complete picture while scouting in deep snow, but I do find it useful and I have found good areas to hunt....................and it beats sitting on the couch :lol:

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Marsh scout 3/2/2013

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:You don't always get the complete picture while scouting in deep snow, but I do find it useful and I have found good areas to hunt....................and it beats sitting on the couch :lol:

That's right !
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:31 pm

[quote="Jackson Marsh"] Lots of snow on the ground so I used snowshoes.

[quote]

What are you useing for shoes ? Are you running a modern shoe ? Mine are an old pair of Swiss Army shoes , aluminum . They are allright .
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:39 pm

Swampthing wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote: Lots of snow on the ground so I used snowshoes.

What are you useing for shoes ? Are you running a modern shoe ? Mine are an old pair of Swiss Army shoes , aluminum . They are allright .

This is what I use, no real complaints, but I've never tried anything else so I have nothing to compare them to.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabe ... Ly5mAikJkd
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:52 am

Good day scouting... I too often find spots you know are old beds in the snow based on location and depression.
I found some last year scouting flooded marsh too, even though the beds were under water, the shape was still visible, and the only real explanation for no vegetation growing in that spot was it was used as a bed.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:26 am

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Just read this thread after I posted my recent scouting trip. Wow!! Pretty amazing how we seemed to target the same stuff with very similar results! 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:50 am

definitely a productive scout- amazing what you can learn in the snow. 8-)
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:21 pm

It looks like you had another productive scouting session. That track looks like a good one.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”