Scrape line Setup

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bblefty

Scrape line Setup

Unread postby bblefty » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:09 pm

How does this plan sound?
A couple weeks ago I found a scrape line torn to shreds and super fresh. The scrapes were up to my shoulder on some accounts which has to mean a monster for these parts of South Carolina.
My primary question is whether its a safe idea to use an observation spot pre-season. Say 1/2 weeks before this public ground opens up to try and get a pattern on whatever buck is using this bed?
1. I'd like to know if there is a buck using the bed pre-rut.
2. I'd like to know whether he's getting the 40/50 yards to the powerline before dark.

My observation spot is really only about 150 yards away and I would only try it if the wind was perfect. Do you think Ill tip him off if I am careful? I'd like to see what kind of buck is using this line.
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/copper/displayimage.php?pid=2202

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: Scrape line Setup

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:25 pm

bblefty wrote:How does this plan sound?
A couple weeks ago I found a scrape line torn to shreds and super fresh. The scrapes were up to my shoulder on some accounts which has to mean a monster for these parts of South Carolina.
My primary question is whether its a safe idea to use an observation spot pre-season. Say 1/2 weeks before this public ground opens up to try and get a pattern on whatever buck is using this bed?
1. I'd like to know if there is a buck using the bed pre-rut.
2. I'd like to know whether he's getting the 40/50 yards to the powerline before dark.

My observation spot is really only about 150 yards away and I would only try it if the wind was perfect. Do you think Ill tip him off if I am careful? I'd like to see what kind of buck is using this line.
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/copper/displayimage.php?pid=2202

When you say "scrape" Im assuming a buck rub. Scouting from a distance is one of my favorite ways of scouting. I usually do it from a car but not always. Just remember if you see him before the season starts coming out before dark in a certain place, he may change patterns right before season. That is what I experience. If you were to scout that once the season begins then it could get you a buck.
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Yes, I always make the mistake of saying scrape line instead of rubs. thanks for your help. I'm just curious if it is best to wait until right before season or do something midsummer.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:29 pm

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:31 pm

I would check it out in fall at hunting time... Around the same time the rubs coming from the bed were made. Thats the time of year you know he has bedded there in the past. Summer time he may be bedded somewhere else.
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks very much Dan, Ill definitely keep that in mind and do an observation sit before i go in to my tree. I just need a feel of how far he is coming out before dark.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks very much Dan, Ill definitely keep that in mind and do an observation sit before i go in to my tree. I just need a feel of how far he is coming out before dark.

Go to the bed now... From the bed, look down the bucks travel rought. When you move in to make the kill, you want to be just out of sight, smell and sound... Figure out exactly which trees you would need to be in, for which winds right now... Then when you move in for the kill, it will be much easier.

Any farther back than just our of sight and sound is likely to far.
A lot of the time with mature bucks, I see them get out of there bed, and they don't make it 100 yards before its dark...

As close as possible.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”