Reading Topos accurately to maximize time in field

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Reading Topos accurately to maximize time in field

Unread postby PLB » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:13 am

With spring scouting coming quick I thought I'd start a thread about Topo map reading tips and tricks to save valuable time afield. Nothing replaces boots on the ground but knowing a likely spot based on a map before you head out just saves so much time wandering around in unlikely places! So what are some features you look for on a topo?? Maps, illustrations and how to are encouraged from the pros!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Re: Reading Topos accurately to maximize time in field

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 pm

good thread!!

depends on what type of terrain im hunting. if its hill country i look for the obvious, points(for bedding), cuts and pinch points(travel corridors) ,watering holes(adjacent to bedding) ect.....

im still Farley new to the marsh hunting so i cant really read much on a topo i need to look at an aerial to get the full picture of the marsh , but some times a topo can come in handy to pick out the higher ground in the marsh and what little elevation change there might be like ridge's ect......
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:50 am

I like to look for the high spots on the topo in my marsh and go back to the arial map and pick out the trails. I like to use a highlighter to mark all the trails leading off points and to the "islands". And once I do some scouting and find the beds, I got back and mark all these on the maps.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:00 am

Public Land Beast wrote:With spring scouting coming quick I thought I'd start a thread about Topo map reading tips and tricks to save valuable time afield. Nothing replaces boots on the ground but knowing a likely spot based on a map before you head out just saves so much time wandering around in unlikely places! So what are some features you look for on a topo?? Maps, illustrations and how to are encouraged from the pros!!

Have you ever read the book Mapping Trophy Whitetails by Brad Herndon? It's a good buck on reading topo sign.
westmibow

Unread postby westmibow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:10 am

For me I always use topos along with ariels never just one alone. That being said I always look for terrain features that work together. So if you have a good looking ridge and a creek that runs below it I highlight that ridge and scout it. Or if there is a cut that goes against a field I will highlight that as an area to scout. Or even a good ridge with a soft edge at the bottom or top. I guess I always like to have more than one feature working to really get my attention.

Its amazing though how some spots look so good on a topo and an ariel and when you get there it just isn't what you thought it would but then more times than not you stumble on a great spot that is nearby.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:43 pm

westmibow wrote:For me I always use topos along with ariels never just one alone. That being said I always look for terrain features that work together. So if you have a good looking ridge and a creek that runs below it I highlight that ridge and scout it. Or if there is a cut that goes against a field I will highlight that as an area to scout. Or even a good ridge with a soft edge at the bottom or top. I guess I always like to have more than one feature working to really get my attention.

Its amazing though how some spots look so good on a topo and an ariel and when you get there it just isn't what you thought it would but then more times than not you stumble on a great spot that is nearby.

I couldnt agree more with this statement.

One more thing to add is that in hill country topos dont just look for the big obvious points. Dan has showed me in other posts and from my observation that bucks bed on those "little" points or just a little bend in the topo.

It doesnt look like much on the map but once you get there in the field you see how its a good spot to bed.
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Could any of you guys could post some of these key spots you look for? For example, a topo map with these areas circled. Visuals would really help us follow your comments.
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:02 am

365buckin wrote:Could any of you guys could post some of these key spots you look for? For example, a topo map with these areas circled. Visuals would really help us follow your comments.

If you search the forum for terms like, 'topo, point, saddle' etc... you should be able to find plenty of examples.

I would post some for you but I actually never learned how to post topo's...

You could also just google 'how to read topographic maps' to get the basics.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:23 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:With spring scouting coming quick I thought I'd start a thread about Topo map reading tips and tricks to save valuable time afield. Nothing replaces boots on the ground but knowing a likely spot based on a map before you head out just saves so much time wandering around in unlikely places! So what are some features you look for on a topo?? Maps, illustrations and how to are encouraged from the pros!!

Have you ever read the book Mapping Trophy Whitetails by Brad Herndon? It's a good buck on reading topo sign.

I would echo MoBigBuck's post. We can get into specifics and give examples on here when someone has specific questions, but I would HIGHLY recommend getting that book and reading through it to get the basics of how to read topos and to learn what types of terrain features influence deer movement. It is highly illustrated and gives great examples so you can wrap your head around what certain features look like.

I believe Autumn Ninja did a great write-up on how to narrow down large sections of big woods terrain and key in on certain funnels that don't necessarily jump right out at you. I will see if I can dig it up.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:37 am

Found the post from Autumn Ninja, but the pictures are removed http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7329&hilit=topo+big+woods :oops:

I miss the Ninja's input around here. He certainly knows how to hunt terrain.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”