Finding ladder stands on public land

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schubox1265

Finding ladder stands on public land

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:18 am

Question on these. I found one yesterday on public DNR land, chain-locked.

Have any of you reported these? Was any action be taken?

Crazinamatese

Re: Finding ladder stands on public land

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:22 am

In WI, I believe it is now legal to leave stands on state and county lands, but not in National forests or Federal properties.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:40 am

I find stands all the time on public, mostly ladder but a few homemade wooden ones and an occasional hang on and pegs. I usually scout a wide circle around the stand and you can see where the deer skirt the hunters, sometimes they can be beneficial!
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:42 am

Crazinamatese wrote:In WI, I believe it is now legal to leave stands on state and county lands, but not in National forests or Federal properties.

According to my 2012 regs, under State-Owned and Managed Lands, they need to be removed each day.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:53 am

I believe you can leave them up now on state and county land as long as your name and customer ID are visible on the stand...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:55 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I believe you can leave them up now on state and county land as long as your name and customer ID are visible on the stand...

Unless this has recently changed as far as I know they have to be removed each night, but if you leave them up during the day and plan to hunt it again later in the day, they have to have your name and customer ID # visible.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:57 am

Leave a note on the stand. Most of the time notes can solve simple problems instead of getting thr DNR Involved

seeds

Unread postby seeds » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:01 am

Crazinamatese wrote:In WI, I believe it is now legal to leave stands on state and county lands, but not in National forests or Federal properties.

I'm not so sure about that. Rules still state "no stands" on Waukesha county land but enforcement is with the sheriff's dept. Same with ATVs on county land...and branch triming for shooting.

No enforcement.

I report permanant stands on public that are over baitpiles or mineral blocks. These have usually been near a property line and it's been obvious that the owner of that property has been the owner of the stand. They deny knowledge of the stand and the warden removes it as abandoned. At least he knows the owner is baiting... On one,the owner of the adjacent private land posted the 40 acres of county land as private as well...he's also paying property taxes on his land as primarily Ag land even though the ony "agriculture" is a backyard garden.

If I reported every permanant stand I saw,I'd be pretty busy. The last few "new" areas I scouted,I saw between 3 and 9 permanant stands.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:09 am

In Michigan all stands have to be taken down daily on public land, including ground tents.

I could walk any Beast to so many illegal stands left up, ladder and otherwise, that we could open our own archer shop with them if we wanted to- and many of them are ladder stands. :lol:

The Michigan DNR and Conservation officers have NO CHANCE of removing a significant percentage of them, there just aren't enough officers to be able to handle this. It's too bad, its almost like littering on our public lands. Many of these stands are relatively new, left up, and will never be used again.
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 am

I wasn't planning on taking any action on this. This one is obviously a gun stand, and I will not be anywhere near here during gun season. The entrance trail leads right to the adjacent land owner, so I suspect it is his.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:48 am

I find stands set up on public often. I never take them or report them. I reported a couple in the past and nothing was done. I like that the stand is there, at least I can see someone else is hunting there and I can stay away. If I find a climber on public land I do like to lift it up as high as I can reach so the owner knows it was found and I am 6'7" so the stand is probably a little hard to get when they do come back.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 am

Public land, public stand, as the old saying goes. I will have to check into this. Im half certain the law has changed and non-permanent stands are allowed.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:18 am

Ok, here is the run down. I stand corrected. On Federal lands, such as the Chequamegon and Nicolet National Forest, you CAN leave a temporary stand up from the beginning to end of season. BUT, on state and county lands, not all allow it. Some public lands have different rules. This also applies to MFL and FCL properties. To be on the safe side, I would contact your county DNR office.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:28 am

if the DNR allows you to leave stands up on public it is the dumbest thing they have ever done, same with trail cams.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 am

whitetail007 wrote:if the DNR allows you to leave stands up on public it is the dumbest thing they have ever done, same with trail cams.

I do not think treestands should be able to be left out but I totally disagree with the trail camera part, I think if you want to leave out a camera on public land, you should be able to, BUT if anything happens to it the DNR is not responsible. I know spots I would love to put some cams out to take inventory.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”