uggghhh..........coyotes

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

uggghhh..........coyotes

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:00 am

I was out again today and was along a crick when I found a big patch of fur and blood on the ground. I followed the hair all over the ground thinking there would be a dead deer. I got to standing corn and a deer got up and ran about 10 yards and stopped. I snuck into the field and looked through the corn rows. I saw a young buck without antlers about 20 yards from me. His backend was eaten by coyotes and full of blood. The poor guy could hardly keep his feet getting eaten alive. I left him, thinking that he had been through enough stress. Wish I could have put him out of his misery.

Im so disgusted with the growing coyote population in our area especially if it leads to this. :twisted:

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Re: uggghhh..........coyotes

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:29 am

Just another reason why I dislike coyotes....
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:45 am

Mother nature is a lot tougher than any human hunter, thats for sure. I have seen deer that had parts of there hind quarters eaten and then the yotes just let it go to die eventually from infection.
At least cats kill the animal quickly. Coyote, wolves, and other canines eat animals while they are still alive.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:34 pm

I remember fishing the river one night in late winter when I kept hearing something bleat. Once we got down to a bend in the river where the bleating was loudest I shined a spotlight along the shoreline. There on an ice shelf was a baby doe splayed out on the ice with a fox with it's muzzle up to it's eyeballs in her...back end.

I got out of my boat while my friend held it alongside the ice in the current. It was a warm night for February and the ice was wet and slippery....I stopped the bleating... The next time we passed that spot the fox was back eating.

This was years ago. I suppose I killed that deer illegally - out of season and by illegal means and probably a half-dozen other violations - but I couldn't continue fishing knowing what the noise was.

To be honest,I don't recall any walleyes being caught. I'm sure we at least did OK during the day but all I remember from the trip was that doe.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”