Marsh Scout 2/2/13

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Treeshark

Marsh Scout 2/2/13

Unread postby Treeshark » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Well, a sick wife and sick baby put an end to my ice fishing plans for this weekend. A well-timed scouting session during naptime was in order today! It was pretty chilly out in the open, but once I dropped down in the woods it was actually really nice! I have hunted other areas of this marsh, but haven't done all that well. Today I tried a new spot and it looks pretty good so far! I followed the field on the east until I cut a nice trail going back into the marsh, and about 250 yards in I ran into a large group of does/fawns. I jumped a nice group of 8-10 of them, and if I was still-hunting with the gun I could have filled a few tags for sure!

Here is the area:

I went west from where I found the doe bedding area and found what I assume, in my limited experience in looking for them, is a buck bed. There were actually two old beds (buried under snow) about 5 feet apart:

[/img]http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/user/ispinejr/media/Scout1_zps66e4e797.jpg.html[/img]

I followed this back to the existing doe bedding area (and coincidentally, back towards the food source) and found a few more rubs.

G3s
500 Club

Re: Marsh Scout 2/2/13

Unread postby G3s » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:20 am

Links arent working
Treeshark

Unread postby Treeshark » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:03 am

I see that- sorry man, I thought I had the whole picture posting thing finally figured out!

I tried to use photobucket- any pointers anyone?
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:36 am

Treeshark wrote:I see that- sorry man, I thought I had the whole picture posting thing finally figured out!

I tried to use photobucket- any pointers anyone?

Copy IMG code and paste link in your post.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Treeshark

Unread postby Treeshark » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:05 am

Well, a sick wife and sick baby put an end to my ice fishing plans for this weekend. A well-timed scouting session during naptime was in order today! It was pretty chilly out in the open, but once I dropped down in the woods it was actually really nice! I have hunted other areas of this marsh, but haven't done all that well. Today I tried a new spot and it looks pretty good so far! I followed the field on the east until I cut a nice trail going back into the marsh, and about 250 yards in I ran into a large group of does/fawns. I jumped a nice group of 8-10 of them, and if I was still-hunting with the gun I could have filled a few tags for sure!

Here is the area:

I went west from where I found the doe bedding area and found what I assume, in my limited experience in looking for them, is a buck bed. There were actually two old beds (buried under snow) about 5 feet apart:

I followed this back to the existing doe bedding area (and coincidentally, back towards the food source) and found a few more rubs, most notably:

Treeshark

Unread postby Treeshark » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:08 am

Thanks guys, I think I figured it out! Anyway, I am in the early stages of learning how this whole "hunting beast" scouting/hunting style works and it really adds a new dimension to scouting. I have been the traditional funnel/pinch point rut hunter up until now, which works great for about one week per season (which I may or may not get to hunt depending on work etc...)- I'm excited to maximize the other 90%+ part of the season that I've, up until this point, really wasted in many ways. A long way to go for sure, but it's fun so far!

I know its a big area and I've just scratched the surface. Although I don't have a ton of info to convey at this point, do any of you guys have any other thoughts on this area that might help me pinpoint some productive areas?
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:31 am

1.) Welcome to the Beast. :mrgreen:
Good finds with the scouting so far. I marked in yellow a line that I would scout out if you havnt already. Check the edges for buck beds and find those routes. What food sources do you have on the property?
Treeshark

Unread postby Treeshark » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:38 am

The main food is the fields to the east- mowed hay fields and one picked corn field at this point, not sure what they will be next year. Inside the woods, it looked like they were browsing on downed tree tops for the most part- I didn't find any oaks. There was one tree with a bunch of purple berries that had a lot of sign around it, but other than that not a whole lot that I found yet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”