How much time spent walking?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mike_mc
500 Club

How much time spent walking?

Unread postby mike_mc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:35 am

From season end to green up, how much time would you estimate you spend walking potential hunting areas in an average week?

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: How much time spent walking?

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:40 am

I just walked 26 hours in four days scouting. I wouldn't even want to guess how much time I spend scouting in the off season. I used a pedometer last year and I walked like 77 miles or something crazy like that :D
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:50 am

I added a pedometer to my phone Accupedo or something like that... 20 some miles in Jan so far
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 am

If work didn't interfere I would be out just about every day but right now I average 5-6 miles or at least 5 hours on the weekend only dedicating one day to scouting new areas. This will increase as we get closer to complete snowmelt in spring.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:57 am

This weekend I covered about 6.5 miles in around 6 hours . Some of that walking is very fast (garbage areas) but when I hit an interesting area/bed I take my time picking it apart.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:43 am

Bucky wrote:I added a pedometer to my phone Accupedo or something like that... 20 some miles in Jan so far

I have the same app! Plan on trying it out this winter/ spring.....

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
Bucky wrote:I added a pedometer to my phone Accupedo or something like that... 20 some miles in Jan so far

It is super accurate when walking on sidewalk etc
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:14 am

Public Land Beast wrote:

I use my odometer on my Garmin Oregon since it is on all the time anyway when I am scouting so I can mark sign.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:33 am

Not enough. My hunting areas are 1-3 hours away...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:14 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Not enough. My hunting areas are 1-3 hours away...

Yeah I hear ya!!

Obsession Bows
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:07 pm

I was just thinking about this today. This winter already, I have spent more time scouting than probably the past 3 years combined. Right now I can only scout weekends because its dark when im done with work and there is little snow right now for night tracking. Looked today and daylight savings is March 10th. From March 10th until green up/turkey hunting, I will be doing much more walking.

Walked for 4 hours yesterday and found a dead buck which I think was a coyote kill :cry: cuz it was very fresh and one antler was actually shed which I found

Just got a gps so I will soon have a better idea of how much ground im actually covering.

I'm scouting a lot of new areas so i'm trying to cover a lot of ground and i know i'm not paying enough attention to sign but I feel like I am still being effective and I can come back if something stands out in my post trip thinking.

What do you some of you keep for a pace when you scout a new area? Right now, my strategy is blasting through at a good pace once just to get a feel for the place then coming back and paying more attention to detail on a separate trip. At the same time, I'm starting to feel like the first trip is almost a waste of time. Any thoughts on this too? I guess i'm just trying to find the most efficient pace to scout new areas, making the most of the time spent.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:30 pm

last couple of season ive spent ALOT of hours scouting.... this year i haven't though because of the early deep snow , i hate walking in hard deep snow!! but , know that the snow has melted, i have been putting some hours in scouting to make up the time i miss from ice fishing and that deep snow. the past three Sunday ive been scouting my but off... i haven't posted any pics yet and dont know if i will... this past season i had a couple run ins with some hunters that might be more then just a coincidence :? :think:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:47 pm

BigHunt wrote:last couple of season ive spent ALOT of hours scouting.... this year i haven't though because of the early deep snow , i hate walking in hard deep snow!! but , know that the snow has melted, i have been putting some hours in scouting to make up the time i miss from ice fishing and that deep snow. the past three Sunday ive been scouting my but off... i haven't posted any pics yet and dont know if i will... this past season i had a couple run ins with some hunters that might be more then just a coincidence :? :think:

Do you have a stalker? :lol: :lol:

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Bucky wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:

It is super accurate when walking on sidewalk etc

Cool! Thanks Bucky!

Obsession Bows
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
BigHunt wrote:last couple of season ive spent ALOT of hours scouting.... this year i haven't though because of the early deep snow , i hate walking in hard deep snow!! but , know that the snow has melted, i have been putting some hours in scouting to make up the time i miss from ice fishing and that deep snow. the past three Sunday ive been scouting my but off... i haven't posted any pics yet and dont know if i will... this past season i had a couple run ins with some hunters that might be more then just a coincidence :? :think:

Do you have a stalker? :lol: :lol:

:think:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”