Did some glassing last evening.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Did some glassing last evening.

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:02 am

Did some post season glassing to see what is going on in one area I hunt. Deer were hitting the food source as I was sure they would. You can tell where a food source is being used by the trampled snow this time of year (yarded up). I watched 26 deer enter the field to feed. The third deer to enter the field was a nice 8 pointer. There were 2 other scrub bucks. The rest were does and buttons. A lot of the deer came running into the field. I found that rather unusual. Wind was NE perfect to do some spying. The deer were bedding to the east so my observation set up was good. If I was hunting, I would have done exactly what I did, glassing. Would have been about a 100 yard shot with a musket.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Did some glassing last evening.

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:47 am

Nice. I sat a funnel from bedding to food (standing corn) and counted 24. 4 bucks and 20 does and fawns. Only standing corn in the area.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:52 am

What time of evening are they coming out?? Hasn't been cold enough where I hunt. They're still moving after dark!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:56 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Nice. I sat a funnel from bedding to food (standing corn) and counted 24. 4 bucks and 20 does and fawns. Only standing corn in the area.

I consider this one of the easiest times of years to pattern bucks. Bed to food and the bucks are hungry. Do your scouting with the binos and move in for the kill.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:17 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:What time of evening are they coming out?? Hasn't been cold enough where I hunt. They're still moving after dark!!

[ Post made via Android ]

Last half hour of light.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”