Best ambush spot?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaHunter

Best ambush spot?

Unread postby DaHunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:51 am

Scouted a new spot today and it looks like it has a ton of potential. How close can I effectively get without getting busted? There are heavily used trails from the North point all along the lake and the west side of the creek edge. I found what I believe are buck beds at all of the red dots. Would hunting the very SE corner of the Oak Island (where it meets the swampy area) be best? Catch him cruising along the edge going back and forth from the N point and the creek to the S? Or should I try to get in the spot where the Lake goes into the creek? I found a couple nice beds and tons of trails crossing right through there. How close to the creek should I try to hunt? The 4th pic is what I was thinking but I think a buck would hear/smell me coming in. Normally will get a West wind here.

What would you guys do?

Some rubs (light blue dots along the creek/lake)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Best ambush spot?

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:45 am

Scouting on foot would tell me the best spots to ambush. I would think the bed farthest north is classic of what big bucks like. I would likely have one set up to the north side of the oaks to cut him off... The others I would have to look at the bedding closer to know exactly where I would sit... It would be based on me getting right into those beds, seeing what the deer can see, thinking about what winds each bed would be used on, what trees I could hunt would be based on exactly what I see at the beds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”