Hilly terrain bedding & wind direction.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cdeam

Re: Hilly terrain bedding & wind direction.

Unread postby cdeam » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:37 am

Since it's been bumped I'll add that when I read this 2 years ago it seemed like the most condensed version of the most valuable info for hunting the hills. You're the man, Dan!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:07 am

Here is a twist to the scenario. What if the buck is dropping down off the point in the evening? Let's say he is feeding to the east of the point at a lower elevation. What would be your preferred stand locations?

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:24 am

That is going to take knowing exactly where the buck can and cannot see from bed.

But you would want to be just beyond the bucks line of sight and either to the side so the thermals don't float your scent up to him or a final approach after thermals begin to drop.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:52 am

Bump
Bach55

Unread postby Bach55 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:07 am

Hey guys,

I’m new to The Beast and reading up on all these great old threads. I have a few questions on the hill country stuff that’s being discussed here. Throwing quite a bit out there, but I appreciate any feedback you guys can offer.

Do you typically look at these sets for the evening only, or do you consider them for morning setups as well? If morning – what’s the best strategy? I’ve read about guys setting up just above the route of travel to take advantage of morning thermals.

Is it most common for them to work up the hill in the evening in order to take advantage of dropping thermals? Or do you often see them follow the ridge around and/or drop straight down?

With the setups depicted in the diagram, how do you keep from getting busted with evening thermals dropping and the wind at your back? This assumes the buck is following the ridge around. Is it just a matter of getting high enough up to where your scent blows straight out over the ridge?

From your experiences, what is typically dictating their exit route from the bed? Is it typically food? Or does it depend entirely on the time of year (assuming so)?

Thanks and look forward to seeing your responses!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:46 am

dan wrote:I drew this picture to show how a buck bedding on a point that has a west wind dominance can shift his bed around the point to feel safe with any wind except the rare East wind... Black lines simulate elevation lines. Colored dots are beds, matching arrows are wind directions...

I am not seeing the image?? Didn’t realize it was 4 years old! My bad.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bach55

Unread postby Bach55 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
dan wrote:I drew this picture to show how a buck bedding on a point that has a west wind dominance can shift his bed around the point to feel safe with any wind except the rare East wind... Black lines simulate elevation lines. Colored dots are beds, matching arrows are wind directions...

Yep, this thread has some legs! Here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bach55

Unread postby Bach55 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:06 pm

I couldn’t see the one with the “yellow lines” referenced.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:37 pm

Bach55 wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:

Yep, this thread has some legs! Here it is.

Thanks!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Homey88

Unread postby Homey88 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:49 am

Great post!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”