A Tamarac swamp Buck bed question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tutone84

A Tamarac swamp Buck bed question

Unread postby tutone84 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:34 am

I found a buck bed today in the middle of a swamp with quite a few giant rubs, the rubs are within 30 yards of the bed and all facing the bed, only one facing away. I can see where he is coming and going, about 3 trails lead either in or out, can't really tell since everything is water around the bed. The rubs look more like they are made as he is J hooking going to the bed from different wind directions. My question is why so many rubs before he hits his bed, I assumed the rubs would be made as he is staging before leaving, either that or he just isn't leaving that spot and just moves around within a 50 yard radius till dark and then leaves. Does that make sense? I need some input here guys, I'm confused. :?

backstraps

Re: A Tamarac swamp Buck bed question

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:12 pm

Good post. I would be curious as well. I have seen simular settings.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:35 pm

They can make rubs in the morning going to there bed as well... I have no real good answer for you.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:52 pm

I have seen them rub before bedding (from tracking sign). I would guess it's just a personality thing. I dang near shot one this season that had a rub that he would hit before bedding.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:02 pm

That don't really seem right are you sure you did't miss another bed ?Mabey your looking at the rubs leaving an entirely different bed. Usually in the terrain your describing there will be several beds.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:26 am

I would check for more rubs around the edges of the tamarack swamp, it might give you some clues to what direction he is heading. They might be further away from his bed and made after dark but they might give you the info you need.
tutone84

Unread postby tutone84 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:32 am

Well after going back out there to reinvestigate (the video I made in the snowstorm) I think I was wrong in my assesment. The buck bed I thought I was looking at has 3 impressions in it so although at one time I think there was a buck in there, I also think some does were bedding in there as well. Checking the rubs again, I guess it may be more than one buck maybe checking the doe beds for signs of estrus, that would make sense looking at the rubs, or just a buck staging in different spots. I'm just starting to scout this new area so I'm sure, I may have missed something, but damn, it's a perfect spot for a buck bed IMO. It may be a buck bed earlier in the year (oct, Nov) and then a pressure bed bed for does. I have found other buck beds in the general area but like Dan always says, you have to check every inch and it's a big piece of public land. Thanks for the input guys. It's a good thing this land is only 6 miles from my home because lately I've been practically living out there trying to decipher this one little piece of the puzzle....and loving every second of it :D
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:28 am

It is fun isn't it, I have alwasy liked scouting but using beast tactics and especially knowing where to look for buck bedding makes scouting so much more fun than I could have ever imagined.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”