Pumped for next year / pic's added.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Pumped for next year / pic's added.

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:24 am

It's been two weeks since I filled my buck tag and I haven't been back out. Sunday morning it had been foggy and wet so I grabbed the 870 decided I would go out and still hunt/scout and take a doe if I got an easy shot. I drove around the section first to check for trucks since most the hunters there are commuters and I didn't want to bump a deer to anyone (selfish I know). Unfortunately I didn't see a single doe but I did see two bucks that I saw during archery season, including a big 10 that I missed. I wanted to check out a spot that is about 5 acres that nobody has set foot in for two years (except possibly trespassers). As I approached from down wind I could see tines in the thicket. I immediately started backing up but it was too late, he snuck out the back door, but I now know exactly where he is bedding on a SW wind and my wife is finally going to muzzleloader hunt so hopefully her first deer will be this big 10. I had also seen a 3.5 y/o six pointer during bow season. He's got four on his left side and two on his right (i'm assuming an injury because this deer is big). As I was walking out I found his right side snapped on in a sumac bush he was rubbing on. It was pretty cool because I immediately new what deer is was from given it's uniqueness. I snapped a couple of pictures of the antler in the bush/tree. Needless to say as long as they make it through muzzleloader season here in Indiana next year should be a good one too.

Last edited by dan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added pictures

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Pumped for next year

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:07 am

Cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:28 am

I would take that over doe sightings as well. Very cool

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:06 am

Redman232 wrote:It's been two weeks since I filled my buck tag and I haven't been back out. Sunday morning it had been foggy and wet so I grabbed the 870 decided I would go out and still hunt/scout and take a doe if I got an easy shot. I drove around the section first to check for trucks since most the hunters there are commuters and I didn't want to bump a deer to anyone (selfish I know). Unfortunately I didn't see a single doe but I did see two bucks that I saw during archery season, including a big 10 that I missed. I wanted to check out a spot that is about 5 acres that nobody has set foot in for two years (except possibly trespassers). As I approached from down wind I could see tines in the thicket. I immediately started backing up but it was too late, he snuck out the back door, but I now know exactly where he is bedding on a SW wind and my wife is finally going to muzzleloader hunt so hopefully her first deer will be this big 10. I had also seen a 3.5 y/o six pointer during bow season. He's got four on his left side and two on his right (i'm assuming an injury because this deer is big). As I was walking out I found his right side snapped on in a sumac bush he was rubbing on. It was pretty cool because I immediately new what deer is was from given it's uniqueness. I snapped a couple of pictures of the antler in the bush/tree. Needless to say as long as they make it through muzzleloader season here in Indiana next year should be a good one too.

That would be outstanding!!!
Good luck...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Pumped for next year / pic's added.

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:48 pm

added the pic's. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”